Chapter 17

Josh slipped an arm around Alyssa's waist as they walked toward the parking lot. "Do you want to come over?"

"Maybe later, my mom was bugging me about how much time I've been spending at your place, especially since your parents are still out of town. She said and I quote, "I would prefer if you ate dinner at home a couple of times a week", so I figured I should probably eat at home today."

He chuckled. "Probably a good idea. At least call me later?"

She went up onto the tips of her toes and kissed him. "Definitely. Love you."

He tucked a strand of hair back behind her ear. "Love you too."

With a hum, she turned and walked to where her car was parked and climbed behind the wheel. She sent him a wave, they had a team meeting today. It probably wouldn't take long, but she figured she'd spend time at home today so her mother had nothing to complain about. At least most of the parking lot had cleared out already, she wasn't going to have to wait forever to get out of the lot. That was the one advantage to the days Josh had practice, it was late and the lot was usually empty when they left. She pulled out onto the street and headed in the direction of her house. Her foot went from the accelerator to the brake when she neared the stop sign at the corner. The car didn't slow. With a panicked movement, she stomped on the brake as she blew through the stop sign to the accompaniment of honking horns.

"Oh god." The brakes weren't working. What the hell? Her eyes went to her phone where it sat in the holder attached to her windshield. Okay, she needed help, who did she call? She made a decision, reached out, and dialed quickly.

"911 what's your emergency?"

"Um, hello, I'm going west on Hillbend, my brakes aren't working."

"All right, can you give me a cross street and what kind of car you're driving?"

"Silver Ford Escort. The license plate is Roman 3." She glanced at a sign as she passed a side street. "I just passed the intersection of Hillbend and Woodgray Court."

"Okay, good. Is the car accelerating?"

She glanced at the speedometer. "Yes, I think I'm going downhill."

"Okay, try and remain calm, the police are on their way. Can you make the turn onto Karen?"

"I don't know, I might be going too fast," she told the operator.

"It's all right if you can't but there are two units that would be closer to your location if you turn there."

She spun the wheel and the car squealed around the corner onto Karen. "Okay, I made the turn."

"Good, the police are closing in on your location. There should be guardrails along that stretch of Karen so you don't have to worry. What's your name?"

"Alyssa." Her eyes flicked to the side of the road and she was relieved to see the guardrails, her eyes went back to the road and she let out a squeal.

"Alyssa, are you all right?" the operator asked.

"A car pulled out in front of me, I can't stop. I'm going to hit him!" She laid on the horn and the guy held a hand out the window and gave her the middle finger. "He won't get out of the way, he's flicking me off."

"Don't panic, that isn't going to help. Is there room for you to go around him?" the operator asked.

Tears ran down her cheeks and she sniffled, she didn't want to hit the man but he wasn't moving out of the way. She was quite certain he slowed down just to be a dick. "No, there's oncoming traffic."