Two

"Dad, ya ready?" I yell, running my fingers through my hair.

I smooth out my vest, the tight leather sticking to my skin. I double-check the laces of my boots, adjusting my jeans.

"Just a second, Lilypad!"

I groan mockingly, despite the smile on my face at the affectionate nickname. I walk from my room, across the hallway, and into my father's room.

I peek my head in the room, my father's back turned to me. He turns around, and I see the creases in his dark skin, the grey hairs in the temple of his hair.

I smile, clearing my throat. He turns around, a smile on his features. I walk into the room, as he nods.

Without another word, he grabs a black box, and opens it. He pulls out a necklace. It looks older, but then it reminds me of something rare.

"This belonged to your mother. She wanted to give it to you today, but..."

"I know, Dad." I say carefully, before nodding.

My mother died when I was seven, so, for most of my life, it has always been my father and I.

He places the necklace around my neck, and clasps it. I look down, the metal a silver color.

It's a locket, and I flick it open with my thumb, seeing a picture of a younger version of me, my mom, and my dad. On the other side is a recent picture of me and my father.

"Thanks." I tell him, running my fingers through my hair. "You know I'm coming back, right?"

"I know, Lily." He kisses my head, and squeezes my hands.

His calloused fingers touch my own, as I look at the tattoos on his scarred and bruised knuckles.

"Come on, let's go, Lilypad." He tells me and I follow.

_____________________

I take a breath, sighing as I walk into the Hub, over to the Dauntless section as my father talks to Jeanine Matthews.

Eric is at his side, and Eric's threat comes back into my head.

Layne comes over, and smiles. He looks nervous, wringing his hands together.

I sigh, smiling widely. "Hey."

"Hey Lian." He replies, and hugs me tightly. It catches me off-guard, but I loosen up.

"Ready?" I ask as I see Jack Kang take the podium.

He just firmly nods, as we quiet down, letting Jack speak.  I tune out his words and my mind snaps back into place as he begins to call the list of names for this year.

"Zella, Grace!"

She chooses Amity, her birth faction.

"Reylan, Truman!" He chooses Candor, leaving Erudite behind.

"Quinn, Layne!" I look over to Layne as he walks to the stage, his parents staring intently.

He cuts his hand, and holds it over the bowl filled with dirt.

Amity.

I watch as his blood falls into the dirt, and Jack Kang calls, "Amity."

Layne's new faction yells out for him, cheering and praising his decision,but his parents look displeased.

I know they won't visit him on Visiting Day. He was a traitor now.

Soon, he is on the last names starting with P, and I sit up straight.