Eight

Thirty seconds.

That's how long it takes me to fall into Eric's grasp.

Thirty seconds, and my heart races in my ribcage. Thirty seconds of my eyes shut so tightly, I see black spots and white stars behind my lids. Thirty seconds of feeling like my mother, preparing for a fall that you didn't know when the bottom would hit you.

His arms wrap around my legs and waist, holding me close to him. I hear my heart pounding in my ears.

I open my eyes, and look up at Eric. My breath is racing, my heart banging against my chest.

My hands slide across his chest, losing tension in my body. I exhale a shuttered breath, batting my eyes.

"Thank you..." I gasp, my hands resting on his chest. I feel his heart thump under my fingers, under his jacket.

"It's nothing." Eric tells me, before he eases me back onto my feet, placing me on the floor. I rub my eyes, my heart still racing from my fall, from being so close to him.

I brush off my clothes, before I look to him and nod. "I'll go guard." I say it hurriedly, trying not to make the situations awkward even more than it already was.

"You're shaking." Eric states. "Normally, I'd be pissed because you screamed, but you look petrified."

"I'm sorry?" I say defensively. "Look.. I don't have to explain myself to you. Let's just defend a flag."

I turn to go down the stairs when he grabs my arm, sending tingles up my spine.

"Don't be sorry. Show me you're sorry. We don't have much time because you screamed." He growled lowly.

And I thought we were making progress.

He shoves past me, and I follow him, walking back to the others. I try to steady how much I was shaking, but I find no relief, not even when I walk into Mason's more than welcoming arms. I rest my head on his chest, as he rubs my back soothingly.

"We don't have much time. Princess Screams over here screamed out and surely, they heard. Michael, Sarah, I want you on the back left. Connor, Mia, on the back right. Grace, Nathan, in the doors. Greyson, Dakota, Mason, and Hunter, in the front, on the outside. Jay, David, Kai, and Brice, scatter yourselves along the hallway. Lian... On the second floor. Guard the flag. Can you handle that?"

A chorus of yes sirs erupt quietly from us, as we go to our various positions. I still feel warm from embarassment.

Eric was blaming me for a lack of time? I guess it might have been partially my fault.

I jog up the stairs, and Eric barely gives me a second glance as he leaves. I figured he go after the flag.

From the second floor, I see Eric hidden behind a metal container, the cold air nipping at my hands and face.

Then I hear the murmur of voices, among the gentle rattle of the guns.

Then silence is murdered by the sounds of paintballs hitting skin and cries of pain or sucess.

I see Eric grab a person near him, and I note the red hair. Quinn.

He drags her off, out of my line of sight, but I see Mason and Greyson, side-by-side, firing paintballs like pros.

I bit my lip, hearing a loud pop, and then a groan come from where Eric went to.

I rest my gun on the rail, closing one eye and resting my finger on the trigger. I shoot from above, hitting people I didn't recognize.

I see Tia charge at Mason, and I pull the trigger quickly, seeing the flicker of a neurostem dart. She falls seconds later, screaming out. She looks up, and glares at me. In return, I pull the trigger again, hitting her with a paintball.

I redirect my attention to the ground below me, looking out for possible threats.

A loud cry erupts from the doorway, and I whip around, crying out as Tia tackles me.

She doesn't even try to shoot me, she just begins to hit me. Her fist slams into my jaw, and I fall on my behind, my gun clattering from my hands.

Her fist collides into my cheek, then her knee, twice. I groan, curling onto my side.

"Not so strong now, are we?" She asks, mockingly and kicks me in the stomach before I can recover. I cry out, curling into her foot, bile rising into my throat.

My cheek throbs, as she leans down, punching me across the face. I yell out as a whistle cries across the distance, feeling blood trickle down my nose, lips, and chin.  The skin of my eye throbs, and it's hard for me to stay awake.

I just wanted to sleep.

Tia runs off as I curl into a ball, trying to sit up, but instead I cry out weakly, crying out for Quinn, Mason, Greyson, and Zella. My father's name is next, then Eric's, and finally, my mother's.

I feel hot tears trickle down my face as blood runs into my fingers as I press them to my nose.  I sit up slightly, screaming out when my side complains.

I hear the sounds of footsteps towards me as my vision fades, seeing the outlines of people's figures, as someone gasps out my name.

Someone picks me up and my body protests, holding me close. I whimper, eyes heavy.

I softly cry out, "Mas... Zee?"

I hear Zella and Mason run over, saying something, but I'm not sure what it was.

"Tell Eric... It was Tia." I moan out, crying in agony. My body was aching. I just wanted to sleep. Sleep was easy.

And so I did.