two

Capitol Train

Reaping Day

▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎

"STOP SCARING THE KIDS, JOHANNA." August said, entering the dining compartment of the train. He faced the mahogany table, housing the tributes, other victor and escort.

"I didn't say anything." Johanna muttered, looking annoyed down at her plate. August rolled his eyes at the woman and turned to the long table with the pastries. He grabbed a small plate and stuffed it with Croissants. If there was one thing the Capitol wasn't completely useless for was making good food. Especially those tiny Croissants.

"How nice that you decided to finally join us." Kieran said sarcastically, giving August a look. That same sarcasm, was one of the reasons why August could stand being around the man, that and he didn't have the typical obnoxious style like the rest of the capitol. Although he did dress a bit more eccentric than people in the Districts would consider normal.
August rose a brow, walking over to the table and sitting down between him and Johanna. "You're very welcome, Kieran."

He heard the two teenagers snicker at Kieran's sigh of exhaustion. The same sigh that normally would leave his own lips when Johanna was annoying him again. Though, Kieran's annoyance seemed to lighten the mood a bit from the former tension.

Kieran sat at the head of the table to play as some sort of mediator between the tributes and mentors. August smiled warmly at Sam and Leigha, trying to get them as comfortable as he could with him. "I'm August Gray and I'll be your mentor." He smiled. "It's nice to meet you."

Leigha looked cautious at the mentor, while Sam smiled at him half heartily. "I'm Sam." He introduced himself, before looking at the girl. She gulped down the piece of brownie. "Leigha."

That was the end of the conversation. In moments like these, August wished for Ramona, as neither he nor Johanna were good at talking. And he honestly didn't know how to communicate with the teenagers. He knew how they must feel, and it angered him that he couldn't do anything to help them feel better.

"You stink." Johanna said, breaking the silence, she looked August up and down with her nose scrunched up in disgust. August kept himself from rolling his eyes, and shrugged.

August Gray!" Kieran suddenly shouted as realisation set into him. The sudden outburst caused the eyes of the rest of the people at the table on him instantly. The escort stared August down. "I have told you for years now, to not smoke on the train. Do you know what could happen?"

Smoking was his coping mechanism. Everything having to do with the Capitol made his blood boil and heart beat at a dangerous speed, especially the hunger games. His anxiety spiked and mixed with the anger. Smoking calmed his mind for at least a bit, and it was better than drinking, because he still had some control over himself.

"Nothing's going to happen." August replied nonchalantly. He was certain that the Capitol took extra precautions with the train, to not have anything happen. Kieran's eyes squinted at him, and if looks could kill, August would be dead five times now. "What if the train explodes?"

August rose his brows at the remark, almost ignorant towards Kieran's concerns."That's a bit drastic, don't you think?"

"You're unbelievable." Kieran sighed throwing his arms up. He then got up as if he was scared that he might burst if he continued talking to the other man. August looked at him confused as he walked to the door. "Where are you going?"