seven.

Arena

Day one

____

SHUTTING HIS EYES, AUGUST slowly felt a hot wind fanning his face. Opening his eyes he blinked trying to get used to the brightness of the artificial sun above. When his eyes finally got used to the sun, he started to move his eyes around, from the cornucopia right in front of them, the golden colour reflecting the sun. A bunch of stuff sourrounded it. Backpacks, knives, swords, boxes and all kinds of other weapons.

Behind the cornucopia stretch ruins of old buildings up into the air, surrounded is everything by a jungle. August turned around but saw nothing but more jungle behind him, so he turned his attention back around, looking at the tributes around him. The two right next to him he didn't recognize but they seem like no threat. Instead of the forest green jacket he wore, they wore black jackets. The green and black switched between the tributes, but were the only colours to find, probably for the Capitol to get something of a change in clothing colour.

Looking further around the round, he saw the familiar boy from four, who seemed to have been looking at him the entire time, because when their eyes met, he threw him a wink. August rolled his eyes before continuing to look around, trying to find Harlow. When he didn't see her, he had to assume that she was on the other side of the cornucopia.

He looked then to the floating countdown, already being on the 20 second mark. Shaking his head, August focused his eyes on the things surrounding the cornucopia, trying to find something good, but easy to grab. Although Blight and Ramona had told them not to go there, he didn't see the point in not going as he would probably die if he just ran away. The hot air, made him sweat already, but he tried to ignore the sweat dripping from his forehead and simply concentrated on the task at hand.

The only thing by the cornucopia catching his attention was a small brown backpack a bit further out, probably a target of many. Could be too risky, he concluded. Shaking his head, he looked back at the countdown. 10 seconds.

He looked back around the tributes, trying to figure out what they might do. Though most have their eyes on the cornucopia, some looked towards the jungle, probably wanting to just get away from the bloodbath.

Looking back to the countdown, the 5 seconds mark popped up.

August leaned forward, making the desicion to just go for it. When the gong sounded the teenagers simultaneously jumped off the platforms and ran towards the cornucopia.

Stopping a bit, August watched where everyone was running before finding an open spot, through the massacre. Grabbing the first backpack he reached, he ran to his left, coming face to face with another boy. A spear in his hand. August grabbed the end of the spear, the boy clearly having never held one before, before kicking him in the stomach and hitting him over the head with his backpack.

The boy let go of the spear, and August grabbed it, slinging the bag over his shoulder, before trying to run off. Though the girl from one had other plans as she stopped in front of him with a smirk. "Hello, there."

She stepped forward, ready to strike him with her sword, but she suddenly stopped. With wide blue eyes, August watches her fall to the ground, a knife in her back. August looked up meeting Bishop's eyes. The smaller boy waved his hand quickly, trying to get August to move.

Pulling himself together, August ran towards the boy. Putting a hand on his back, August pushed Bishop forward. "Let's go."

Running towards the jungle, the two left the bloodbath behind. August could only hope that Harlow made it out alive and they would be able to find her. But it would have been too dangerous to stay and look for her.

The teens didn't stop when they entered the jungle, but just continued running for a good thirty more minutes. When cannons are heard, the two stopped, counting.

"Ten." Bishop whispered, looking at August.

Ten seemed to be an average number, when it came to the bloodbath. Ten kids were gone, only fourteen left. August could only hope that Harlow was one of them. He looked down at the small boy who saved his life in the bloodbath before, nodding his head.

August's throat was as dry as a sheet of paper, but he didn't dare consider a break. "Yeah. We should keep going, the careers are probably out trying to find more tributes, we need to find somewhere to hide."

"What about Harlow?" Bishop asked, looking back from where they came. August shook his head. "For now I am not even sure if she is still alive. I don't want to look for her if I don't know if she is still alive, that would be useless."

Bishop nodded his head and without saying another word he continued walking further into the jungle. August followed him quickly, both keeping a steady pace, while looking out for any danger. The hot air quickly exhausted them, though that didn't stop them from going in.

The only time they stop walking was when another cannon shot was heard. The boys jumped at the suddenness, before continuing their silent walk. Watching the jungle carefully for any kind of danger.

August pulled Bishop towards him, before hitting his spear in the ground. A fat snake had made it's way through the leaves on the jungle floor, trying to attack the thirteen year old.

"Are you alright?" August asked Bishop, pulling the spear out of the snake. The blonde nodded his head slowly. "How did I miss that big ass thing?"

August shook his head. "I think we're just tired. We have to find somewhere to rest, and find something to drink."

"Well, maybe we should check our backpacks, genius." Bishop replied, slipping his bag off of his shoulder. August copied his movement, ignoring Bishop's comment. Since they had gotten out of the bloodbath, the two have been walking, not stopping once to check their bags or to rest. Both in too much fear that if they stop, they might be found by the careers.

Putting the spear on the ground, August zipped his bag open. The first thing he pulled out was a black tarp, which was tied together by a thick blue rope. A small knive, a metallic water bottle, which was luckily filled, and a small pack of dried food. August nodded to himself, happy with the things he acquired.

Looking up he watched Bishop, pull out his own things. Another rope, in red this time, an empty bottle, looking exactly like August's bottle, along with somes iodine. Then he pulled out a sleeping bag and piece of wire. "Well, this is a piece of shit." He muttered, looking at the contents of his bag.

"It could be worse." August argued, looking down at the things, while putting his own back inside the bag. "You can talk, at least your bag doesn't look like a fifth graders bag for a camping trip."

August smirked. "I wouldn't know what a camping trip looks like, I've never been on one."

Bishop shruged. "Me either. But a friend of mine went with his academy class."

August simply nodded, not sure what else to say.

____