thirteen.

ARENA

Day six

___

YESTERDAY EVENING THE boys from nine and ten died. August and Bishop found out after the anthem. Now it only was to wonder if it was the careers or Aaron and Harlow who killed the two. Or if maybe they killed each other.

August wondered if Aaron and Harlow have returned to the cave and discovered that Bishop and August vanished, along with almost all of the food that was left. He wondered if maybe they were angry at them and if they thought that maybe they were the ones who betrayed them the same way August and Bishop thought that they betrayed them.

The guilt of leaving Harlow, was ripping him apart. What would the people of District seven think about this. It felt wrong. They for sure hated him for leaving his District partner. But that didn't matter right now, at least that's what he told himself. In this arena it didn't matter where you are from, whether you're from the same District or even the same family, it only matteref to get out alive. And he had to get out alive. He promised Rouge.

August knew that at some point, most likely very soon, he and Bishop would have to split up, if they didn't want to be the last left standing and inevitably have to kill each other. Both rather have someone else kill the other, as it was easier for them. At least mentally.

But for now, neither of them tried to think about it. At least until they heard another cannon, and they knew, that now was the time.

"It's gonna be over soon." Bishop announced solemnly. He had a sadden look in his eyes, and it almost looked like pure terror. August thought that he probably didn't look better, the closer they got to the end, the more he feared it.

Up until now, he managed to not kill any other tribute. He didn't think that he would be able to if he was honest. He didn't want to, either.

"I know." Those two words, the way he spoke them, told Bishop more than August could ever express in actual words. The tone, the volume, it all spoke of the same emotions bubbling inside of him.

"We-" Bishop looked around them. The words were choked downs he couldn't bring himself to mutter them. Bishop knew that this might be the last time they were gonna see each other and he didn't feel good about it.

August and him got off on the wrong foot, at least that's how he thought of it. But somewhere along the way, they bonded and now, they were gonna lose said bond again. Bishop now understood why his mentor told him to not get too close to people. It was hard letting them go. And now he was here, standing in front of August. Someone who he started to look up to, someone be started to appreciate more than he originally thought.

"Yeah." August nodded. His head sunk and lips pressed together as he didn't need Bishop to finish his sentence. He remeber how annoyed he was with the younger boy, but somewhere along the way he got used to it and now he enjoyed the small banters between them. He hated the fact that this young boy might die and he didn't even want to imagine how his family might feel. How his little sister was sitting in front of the TV, with glassy eyes watching her big brother fight for his life. August knew that the chance of either of them winning was slim, if they looked at the competition, but it wasn't non existent, in fact he believe that Bishop stood a bigger chance than he did. And he kind of wished that if he didn't win, it would be Bishop. So he could go back home, hug his sister tightly, and answer his little cousin's dumb questions. Go fishing with his dad and help his mom cook. He wished Bishop could just live a normal childhood, same as they did before the war. But he couldn't. They couldn't.

August gulped down the upcoming sickness and stretched out his hand for Bishop to shake and end their alliance. The younger boy had teary eyes. He tried to hide them, but August saw them, though he was sure that only he did. Bishop stood there for a moment, before ignored his hand and pulled him into a tight hug.

August returned the hug surpised, but still tightly. His head sunk a little, but then lifted again as they released each other. They threw sad smiles at each other, before taking a few steps back. August was about to walk away when Bishop called out his name.

"August." Said boy turned around and met the blue eyes of the blonde. Bishop let his bag off his shoulder grabbing a few apples and bread and giving it to the other teen. "So you won't starve to death."

August grabbed the things and pulled them in his bag, throwing a cheeky smile at Bishop. "Thanks."

"No worries." Bishop answered, putting his backpack back on. He took a few careful steps backwards and lifted two fingers to his forehead in a salute. "Good luck, woodpecker."

The nickname brought up a chuckle and a shake of his head. August returned the gesture. "Good luck, fishface."

They didn't dare say goodbye as it seemed like the end. One which neither of them looked forward to.

August took off in the opposite direction, not daring to look after the boy, scared that if he did he might start to cry. He didn't even understand why he felt so emotional towards him, but he did, and he couldn't let that be his end.

He hadn't walked that far, when a sudden outcry caught his attention.

"AUGUST!"

It was undeniably Bishop, followed by a cannon.

August's eyes wide in terror. What did just happen. He could feel his throat closing and his head aching from the held back tears and headache. Did he just sent Bishop to his dead?

Before he knew it August ran towards the outcry, full of panic.

___