three.

Trainings Center, Capitol

Training day

_____

AUGUST HADN'T BEEN this nervous in a while. Not the day of the reaping, or the day of the arrival at the Capitol or the Parade. No, the day of the first day of training, is what scared him. It was the day would really get to meet the competition for the first time. It would be the time where he would be able to see what kind of deadly strengths they had. And the day he would see his potential killer, for the first time.

Harlow Leeds, his District partner, an 18-year-old girl, who seemed to feel similar to August, stood next to him in the elevator. Her foot tapped the floor nervously as she stared aimlessly at the silver doors.

August's eyes moved from wall to wall, trying to get something to occupy his mind with while waiting for the elevator to come to a halt and let them out. The first trainings day, was the first real day that he would interact with any of the other tributes. The only other time he saw them was at the parade, but no one really made contact with anyone. Well, except for the careers.

"What are you gonna do first?" Harlow asked quietly, catching August's attention. If it weren't for the deadly silence surrounding them, he would have missed the words.

He thought for a moment. What were his strengths? He had worked in the Forrest, like the majority of the District, so he knew how to handle the axe but he wasn't sure if the arena will even provide one, as it wasn't quite as common as a sword or spear. So he probably had to lear how to fight with one of those. He had to try some of the survival stations, Blight told them about, as well.

Blight had won the games, two years ago, making him just a year older than Harlow, and two years older than August himself. The other victor with them was Ramona Sinclaire, a woman who had won the 24th hunger games. She hasn't told them much, just to try as much as they could, as they can never know what will expect them in the arena.

"I don't know yet, I'll probably look around and decide then." August answered, voice showing more fear than he had hoped to show. Harlow nodded beside him agreeing. "Sounds good."

August furrowed his brows, looking over at her. Are they allies? Feeling his eyes on her, she met his and smiled slightly, trying to keep a lighter atmosphere. Harlow saw the silent question in his eyes, and reassured herself. "We're gonna stay together, right?"

The boy smiled slightly, nodding confidently. "Right."

Then the elevator door opened.

Both teens took a deep breath, before exiting, joining the few tributes standing around the hall. August's eyes moved around the group of tributes. The kids from three stood awkwardly next to each other with the girl talking occasionally while the boy nodded along. The tributes from one held an intense conversation. And the teens from nine, eleven and twelve, as well as from six just stood by each other not trying to talk or do anything.

August looked past the tributes to the few stations that he could already make out, gulping upon seeing the weapons he may be killed with in near future. Behind them the elevator door opened again, and a familiar voice sounded from behind. Turning around, August saw the small boy from four, who the day before used August as a shield to prevent from having to wear the parade costume.

The small boy caught Augusts eye, and marched from his District partner, a bulky girl, who had her dark eyes fixated on the District one Tributes, over to the District seven teenagers. Without a care in the world, the small boy stood next to August, looking up to the taller boy. "You weren't much of a help, you know that?"