nine.

Arena

Day two

____

WHEN THE CAREERS dispersed so did August's anxiety to a certain degree.

"What if Harlow's with him?" The older boy turned to look at Bishop who gulped at the question. Pursing his lips as he shrugged. "I don't know, but it's best if he don't think about it. We need to leave."

August knew that he was right, but at the same time he wanted to follow the careers to see for himself. He knew that, that was too dangerous, though. He just wanted to know if Harlow was there.

In that moment August realised how attached he had grown to his District partner. It was dangerous for him in their situation and he knew that he had to cut the connection somehow. Just one could win and he wanted, no, he needed to win.

Even though everything in him ached to follow the careers, he didn't. Instead he and Bishop slowly climbed down the tree and rushed off in the opposite direction to where the careers ran. They didn't stop running, not even when a cannon sounded, they continued on.

Only half were left, was all August thought after hearing the cannon. Either the careers killed only one, and the other got away, or one of them died fighting Aaron. To be honest, August didn't give a crap. All he hoped was that Harlow wasn't with Aaron and was still alive. Although, if she was dead now, the possibility of him having to kill her would disperse. 

Now he silently hoped that maybe it was her and it was quick.

No attachments.

That was what he wanted himself to remember.

NO attachments.

That meant no Harlow thoughts.

Although, he had to admit, if the opportunity arises, where they would meet Harlow, he would most likely take the opportunity to form an alliance with her. He would think about the possibility of her death when the time arose.

He just hoped that if she was to be killed it would be by someone else, because he didn't think, that he would be able to.

His thoughts were confusing him. August tried to forget everything. Harlow didn't matter to him, she couldn't. Of course they got along very well, but only one of them could live, and he was determined to make it himself. He promised Aunt Rouge.

August shook his head trying to concentrated on the problem at hand. Running. He followed after Bishop. The boy was surprisingly quick and August had it difficult following his quick moves.

They broke from the forest and towards the cornucopia. The open spot was empty as the careers were still in the forest. It seems as if the three remaining careers had stuffed all the things in the boxes and stacked those inside the golden cornucopia. August thought about grabbing one of the boxes, but had to admit, he wasn't sure if they'd get away quick enough before the careers returned.

Bishop, didn't think about that though, the young boy quickly ran over to the stacked goods. With a sigh and an uncertain look back to the forest, he followed.

Bishop had already opened a bunch of boxes, grabbing out a few items.

"August!" He held up an axe and August's eyes lit up. The familiar item was exactly what he needed, as the spear was in fact not his strong suit. He stuck his current weapon in the muddy ground and reached for the outstretched weapon. Balancing it in his hand, he weighted the weapon. Swinging it a bit to make sure it was good for him