six

CAPITOL

THE 74TH HUNGER GAMES

____

THE INTERVIEWS FOR Sam and Leigha were uninteresting to say the least, pretty average. That could be good and bad. But that didn't matter, because they're dead.

August sighed when the Bloodbath was over, and glanced on the screen in the Mentor's control room, over the eleven corpses that died in the bloodbath. The blonde hair that was braided back and covered in red, belonged to Leigha and Sam's dark head didn't look any better. This was the end, August thought.

Though he deep down knew that they probably wouldn't have made it, especially with the amount of strong fighters this year. Though a part of him still hoped. Just like it did every year. But like most years, it didn't bring him anything but pain and loss.

The Captiol made the Mentors wait out the whole hunger games in the Capitol, despite the death of their tributes, so August sat by and watched.

He complemented rolling his chair over to Gloss and talk to him, seeing as the blonde was the closest thing he had to a friend with the Victor's, besides Johanna and Finnick, but he didn't. Gloss sat with his sister, Brutus and Enobaria. For some reason the District two mentors always became too jolly after the bloodbath. It was as if they were back to being Career tributes in the games. August felt sick at that.

The two were less bad after and before the games, but during. It was too much for him, so he decided to stay in front of his assigned television screen, watching the different scenes unfold.

The big screen, he was watching on, was divided in different section with each showing a different tribute. There was the Career's who were trekking through the forest. Then the redhead from five sneaking through bushes, careful steps and watchfull eyes were her strategy. The small girl from eleven, jumping from branch to branch like a squirrel. The muscular boy from her District, running through a field of wheat. The boy from ten, dragging forward with a limp. August was positively surpised that he made it out, seeing as he was already disabled when he was reaped, but he did and August respected him for doing so.

The girl from eight was less careful. She was looking around wide eyes, scared that someone would jump from behind a tree and kill her, but she kept on going forward. No equipment in sight.
Then there was Katniss Everdeen. The girl on fire, as she was labelled. The girl was more than confided in her steps. Running with precision and careful silent steps through the forest. She was promising, August believed. At least that's what her training score said. Her 'loverboy' and District Partner, Peeta Mellark, had met the Careers a bit ago, leaving him injured as Cato and the others wanted to kill him. Though with quick words, Peeta convinced them, that he could help them find Katniss. Seeing him as a need to an end, the careers agreed and took him in. It was clear that they would only use him to kill Katniss and then they would kill him as well.

August thought Peeta was clever, at least that way he had a better chance at surviving. And maybe it also helped him save Katniss, whom he loved so dearly. At least that was what he said in the interview, where he stated that he was in love with her.

Peeta was good, that much was clear to August. The boy knew how to use his words to lure others, to get them to do whatever he wanted. Words were a strong weapon. One that was ofter underestimated.

August leaned back in his seat, head rolling over the edge of the headrest, as he stared at the ceiling. His eyes closed almost on command as he realised just how tired he was. The day proceeded slowly and he was lured into sleep by the soft words around him and the humming of the machines.