one.

District 7

Reaping day: 60th Hunger Games

_____

AUGUST STARED WITH EMPTY EYES AT THE DIRTY MIRROR, desperately trying to uphold a brave facade. Dirty smears covered part of his face, which he quickly wiped away.

Being reaped as a tribute for the 60th hunger games, was definitely on his list for the day. He adjusted the collar of his blue dress shirt, trying to calm his inner thoughts. His breaths were heavy and he stepped unconsciously closer to the mirror until his breath fogged up the glass.

He heard the door open, as his aunt rushed inside. August saw her through the mirror, but couldn't turn around to face her, still in deep shock from the recent events.
The woman, immediately ran over to her beloved nephew, turning him around by his shoulder and throwing her arms around his neck, pulling him as close as possible.

"Aunt Rouge." August whispered. The shock in his voice, his voice scratched his dry throat. August closed his eyes, burying his head in her shoulder, breathing her familiar smell in. He didn't know if he would ever get the chance again.

Rouge pulled away from him, her hands on his cold cheeks. Inside the dark brown eyes her eyes he could see the fear and the redness from held back tears, as she so desperately stared at him. Everything in here shouted to just hide him under her big skirt and take him back home. To hide him in her bed, curled up under the blanket and pressed against her side, like he used to do when he was younger.

Rouge was his only immediate family, as he lost both his parents in a forrest fire almost ten years ago. She had been his rock, taking him in, taking care of him, acting like he was her own. And in a way he was, and always will be. She was the one who he had leaned on since he could remember, and she has sworn herself to let that never change.

"Listen to me, Auggie. You can do this, okay? You can win." She said, her voice wavering from trying to keep her emotions in check. Seeing her this desperate, made it harder to hold up the strong facade, as tears welled up.

August shook his head. "I can't... I- I don't stand a chance."

Rouge shook her head at him, tightening her grip on his shoulder as to give him strength.

"You talking like that ruins your chances, so please don't. You are strong, you are smart, and quick. And I know that you can do this okay, I just know it." Her eyes searched his for some kind of hope. Hope of returning to her open arms, but all she could find was hopelessness. He had already given up.

"Please." She pleaded, hoping that the sound of her helplessness would bring up some kind of strength in him. A strength that would bring her nephew back.

The boy hasd never seen his Aunt like this, so helpless. He had always viewed her as invincible. That she would be able to withstand everything. Seeing this side of her, gives him the strength that she hoped it would give. He needs to be her rock this time. August has to win. If not for him, then for her. He slowly nodded his head at her. "I'll try."

Rouge smiled at the boy slowly, already knowing that this was gonna be the last time she was gonna see him the way he was now. If he should return or if he doesn't, either way, he was gonna be different. She had seen it over the years happen all the time, no one ever returned from the games, the way they were before, not even the careers.