three

DISTRICT SEVEN

____

THE LOUD BOOMING when the door was swung opened, pulled August out of his state of vegetation. His body was heavy, so heavy he had a hard time opening his eyes. The blood that had previously flown out of his body, was now hardened and stopped anymore blood to leave his body.

"You get half an hour." He heard a voice say distantly. The door closed again, and a small light was turned on inside the cell.

Soft steps approached as August tried to move his eyes ro meet the approaching body. He heard a disgusted intake of breath and then a bag being placed beside the cot.

"Mr. Gray?" A soft touch moved his shoulder, leading to him groaning in pain as a hot shot of pain shot through him. The woman, who had touched him paused. "I'm sorry."

"Could you open your eyes for me, please?" She spoke softly. August had to take a moment to understand her words, as his head was nothing but a mess. It throbbed in ways he didn't know it could.

Slowly, he tried to open his eyes. A pain shot through his head when the dim light met his eyes. It felt so much brighter than it actually was to him. Almost pulsing in waves through the air.

"Do you want me to turn off the light?" The woman asked. August could only groan in agreement, not being able to bring a word out. He still had no idea who that woman was.

A small click, made him think that the light was off, as steps came back to his side.

"My name is Cova Rainer." She introduced herself. August tried to concentrate on her voice, though the aching of his body and head made that very difficult. "I'm a doctor and I am going to give you something for your pain."

August didn't reply, but he didn't attempt to disapprove of her words. Cova took his silence as approval and went rummaging through her bag, which she had placed in a careful distance to the puke on the floor. The smell was strong, but not as strong as that Cova would want to puke herself.

She pulled out a syringe and a small glass container with a fluid.

"Your friends, Johanna Mason and Blight Miles, are working on getting you out. But for now, I was sent to take a look at your injuries. The Capitol is known to take great care of its victors, even when they get into trouble like this." Cova explained, and August knew at in that moment that she was a Capitol woman. For a moment he wondered why the Capitol sent her, but he knew that if message got out that Peacekeeprs killed a victor, there would only be more distrust in the Districts towards them.

Cova pushed the needle into August's arm, and almost immediately the pain lessened. The man couldn't help but let out a sigh, as his eyes closed in relief.

"Alright." Cova put the syringe back in her bag, and turned to August. "I'm just gonna look over you, if that is alright with you."

August nodded lightly, his mind still seemed hard on processing anything.

Cova pushed him gently on his back and moved his head to the side, to be able to get a good look on his head.

She touched his head for a bit, though August barely felt it. Whatever she gave him slowly sent him into the world of nothingness. He felt like he was flying and everything around him was being pushed aside. It didn't take long for him to pass out once again. The drugs taking him slowly in a painless sleep.