twelve.

Arena

Day four / five

____

A SUDDEN GUNSHOT, no a cannon, brought August out of his thoughts. It sounded close, too close. Was it Aaron or Harlow, did one of them die? Or one of the careers or the other tributes?

It seemed that they were about to find out as fast paced steps approached them. Bishop put a hand against his lips when August and his eyes met and they pulled back, hiding against a tree. August thought whoever it was might not pass them, but then a figure quickly ran past them.

August hadn't realised it, but Bishop had put his spear out catching the person off guard and making them stumble and fall. The young boy quickly jumped from behind the tree and embedded his spear in the persons chest.

It was all so quick and August hadn't even realised that it happened when Bishop was back by his side. The now discovered boy from District eleven at their feet. His chest still rose for a moment, his long limbs moving slightly.

August remembered the boy for being so fast when running in the gym at the trainings centre. Quick enough to maybe outrun the bloodbath, but not to outrun Bishop's reflexes.

"Fish are fast, so you need to be faster." The blonde stated smirking innocently, as if he hadn't killed a boy just now. Then the boy's cannon sounded as well.

August had to get over his shock fast. If he was alone, he probably would have just let the boy go, as he didn't really want to kill anybody. Bishop on the other hand didn't seem to have problem with that. That was his strength, as cruel as it sounded. The unwillingness to kill, was a big disadvantage.

Shaking his head, August threw one last glance at the dark skinned boy, his curly head was full of leaves and his skin was almost grey. In his hand was a bloody knife, the cannon from before, was probably his kill.

August wondered for a moment how old the kid was, as he didn't seem older than maybe fourteen and couldn't help but feel a sense of pity rise up in him. This was so unfair. They were all way too young for this. Everybody was. Even the careers didn't deserve this. An anger towards the Capitol bubbled up, but he knew that he couldn't voice his anger without getting in trouble, so he stayed quiet and tried to calm himself.

"Let's go." He brought out slowly unclenching his jaw. Bishop saw the sudden tension in his body, but didn't mention anything as they walked away from the body, so that a hovercraft would be able to pick him up.

"How many are left?" Bishop asked, breaking the silence. It took a while for August to come up with an answer. Ten died at the bloodbath, that means fourteen were left after, including them. Then the girl from five died shortly after. Thirteen. Then the boy from six. Twelve. The girl from four almost two days ago means eleven. And now those two.

"Nine." August answered.

Bishop nodded. "That means they will start interviewing our families soon." He shook his head.

"My sister hates being even photographed, so she is gonna hate this." The young boy chuckled. The change to more personal topics caught August's attention. "You have a sister?"

"Yeah, she's ten, and freakishly annoying." He chuckled lightly.

August smirked and titled his head. "Seems like she got that from you."