Chapter 1: Phone call

Law closed his eyes as he massaged his temples to ease the slight pain in his head from staring too much at the monitor of his computer all day. He rested his back on his chair to relax a bit. He then glanced at his wristwatch to check the time. It's 2 in the morning. As usual, he lost track of time by focusing too much on finishing his workload.

Donquixote Trafalgar Law is a 23 year old bachelor and has been working at the most prominent hospital in the country as a surgeon for almost 3 years. He is considered a genius and the most successful in the field because of the achievements he had earned at such a young age.

Being a doctor is not easy, from studying, earning the degree to actually working almost 24/7. He rarely sleeps, which explains the dark circles in his eyes, making him look scary and intimidating. Not that he could sleep if he wanted to. He can't sleep at night for several reasons. He worked even at night to make use of the time he was wasting just laying in his bed, eyes open and fully awake for hours.

He gets the cup of coffee he brewed earlier and puts it into his mouth. To his dismay, the mug is already empty. He was about to go to the kitchen to make another one when his phone rang. He picked up his phone to see who was in their right mind calling him this early in the morning when people were supposed to be asleep.

Seeing an unregistered number calling he pressed the decline button immediately and put back his phone on the table.

The call must be one of Sachi's
'friends'. His colleague, who's also a doctor at the hospital he's working. He often gets random calls from the girls he's hooking up with him which he constantly declines. Had he known he's going to do that kind of thing, he wouldn't have given out his number in the first place. He's got no time for things like that.

He continued what he was working on when his phone rang again.

He cussed and thought of changing his phone number first thing in the morning before grabbing his phone and finally answered. He only needed to decline this one to make it stop from calling him again.

He was about to say something when he heard a familiar low, baritone voice whom he hasn't heard in years speak.

"Law my boy, It's been a while."

The sound of the other man's voice is enough to make the young surgeon's blood boil.

It's his father who's calling. He didn't need to know how he got his number, nothing is impossible to Donquixote Doflamingo.

It's been years since they last spoke with each other.

'What does he need? Why did he have to contact me now?' Law thought at the back of his mind.

"What do you want?" he asked harshly, visible the hatred in his voice.

"That's all you're going to say after all these years? I am hurt." he heard the older man let out a faint laugh as if he were truly hurt.

"Get to the point, old man."

"My, my, don't be such a brat to your father. I just wanted to inform you that we will be having a very important family party at Dressrosa a week from now, and it's a must for you to attend."

For a moment, he suddenly forgot about his hatred towards his father when he heard the place he just mentioned.

"Dress... rosa..." He whispered but enough to be heard by the other man.

There was a minute of silence between the two before Doflamingo spoke again.

"Yes. Corazon and I's hometown." Doflamingo replied.

Tons of memories came flooding on Law's mind enough to raise his anger towards the man just by him mentioning his mother's name.

"Keep my mother's name out of your mouth. You don't have the right to mention her name." Law said full of anger.