Chapter 17: Party

"Don't tell me... she's in love?"

Nami exclaimed while Chopper was processing on his head what she just said.

"I am always in love with you, Nami-swan."

A tall, fair-skinned man, wearing a black formal suit with straight blonde hair that covered the right side of his face, whispered in Nami's ears.

Nami, who almost fell on her chair, hit his boyfriend's chest at his sudden action.

"Don't startle me like that, Sanji-kun!"

"Sorry, my dear mellorine. What are you guys talking about?" Sanji chuckled and now making circles on Nami's exposed back.

"It's about Luffy." Nami replied.

They both looked at Luffy, who was staring outside the restaurant looking so down like her world had just collapsed. There was no sign of the usual loud and cheery girl who's always making a mess in the said restaurant.

"Yeah. Luffy-chan seems a bit off today." Sanji replied.

"It's impossible..." Says Chopper who just processed what Nami said earlier.

The lovers look at the confused boy.

"What do you mean, Chopper?" Sanji and Nami replied.

Nami faced her boyfriend.

"Sanji-kun, why don't you prepare Luffy's favorite food? Maybe it would help her lighten up her mood?" Nami suggests.

There's no reason for him to know about what they're talking about.

The cook immediately obeyed his girlfriend's wishes and stood up.

"Anything for Luffy-chan. Now, if you'll excuse me." Sanji kissed her hand before leaving the two of them at the counter.

When Sanji had completely entered the kitchen, Nami continued asking.

"Is it really that impossible, Chopper? If you look at her right now, she really looks like someone just rejected her!"

Chopper just stayed silent. Lost for words. He isn't in the position to talk. He himself has never been in love with someone either. He's got the least experience among their friends in this matter, his thoughts are limited.

"Ever since we were in high school, she never liked anyone romantically. That's why we just concluded that she's really asexual. But isn't it too early to tell?" Nami added.

"Even so, I think it's a good idea if she's really in love."

Chopper finally replied.

"I agree with that." Nami nodded.

"I hope that guy will finally reveal himself at the party later. I'm really curious about what kind of man stole Luffy's young heart." Nami said still watching Luffy.

_

It was nine in the evening when the party at Kaya's mansion started. The loud music covers the whole place.

Luffy, together with her friends, is on one table. There are foods and beverages on their table, but Luffy is just eating meat as usual.

Kaya and Usopp are busy entertaining the guests that's why they're not at the table.

"Luffy, eat slowly." Nami advised Luffy with a concerned look. It might not seem like it, but no matter how big Luffy's appetite is, they can tell whether she's stress eating or not.

Zoro, a green-haired muscular man with lightly tanned skin poured a glass of wine and gave it to Luffy.

"Oi, Luffy, why aren't you visiting my dojo class lately?"

Luffy stared at the wine glass before she accepted it and took a sip.

"I was busy." Luffy's short reply

Nami and Chopper looked at each other meaningfully. They knew that the girl was lying. They all know that the girl was terrible at lying and everyone inside their circle knows this too well. If she's lying they could see through her immediately but she said the word casually that they couldn't almost notice.

Zoro just eyed Luffy suspiciously and drank his whiskey.

"What's keeping you busy these days, Luffy-san?"

Brook, a bony, tall man wearing formal attire with a top hat and a cane, asked Luffy this time.

"A lot of things," Luffy boredly replied.

They weren't used to Luffy's current behaviour. It's unusual to see an energetic goofball like her showing an attitude at such a party. It's like her energy is drained and not in the mood to party. There is awkwardness at their table.

"It's a shame Robin and Franky couldn't make it for Kaya's birthday celebration. I miss them! I wonder when they'll be back." Nami said sadly trying to change the atmosphere.

Nami is referring to their other friend Robin, who's working abroad with her boyfriend Franky. They've been travelling to places abroad since they graduated.

They all met in the same town and attended the same high school. The others are ahead of them. That's why they've already graduated before the others. The only ones left studying currently are Luffy, Nami, Usopp, and Chopper. While Robin, Brook, Franky, Zoro, and Sanji are now working in their respective fields.

"Don't worry about them Nami-san, I'm sure they wouldn't miss Luffy-san's upcoming birthday." Brook comforted Nami.

Brook's statement caught Luffy's attention.

"Really? They're going to attend my birthday?" Luffy excitedly asked.

"Yes, Luffy-san, so don't be sad."

"He's right, Luffy, Kaya will be sad if she knows that you're not enjoying her party." Chopper added.

"I am enjoying the party! Just watch me finish all of their meat." Luffy proudly says, as if challenging something.

They all laughed at what Luffy said. They're happy that the Luffy they knew is finally back.

"It seems like you are all enjoying my party. I'm glad." Kaya and Usopp approach them and sit down at their table, it seems like they're already finished welcoming the guests that they finally had time to rest and join in with the fun.

"Happy birthday, Kaya!"

They all greeted Kaya, who warmly accepted their greetings.

"By the way Luffy, will your brother's make it?" Kaya asked.

"Oh. They told me that they're working on something very important, and that they can't make it for tonight." Luffy answered Kaya.

"That's unfortunate. But it's okay, it seems like it's really an important thing." Kaya softly smiled.

"But they told me to send you their greetings!" Luffy replied happily.

"Tell them I said thanks."

"Got it," Luffy said before continuing her eating session. But still kept on glancing over at the entrance.

A moment later, Kaya's butler whispered something and Kaya's face suddenly lightened up. She whispered back to the butler and the butler left after.

A few minutes passed and someone spoke from behind their table.

"I'm sorry, I'm late."

They all looked up at the newly arrived.

They saw a slim young man of a relatively tall height with tanned skin. Wearing a dark formal suit. He's got bags right under his grey eyes, with a smirk plastered on his face.

None of them knew who the guy was except Chopper, who was wide-eyed, looking at the newly arrived. Kaya, who has a small smile on her lips, and Usopp who's thinking why the guy had to arrive this late.

Luffy, on the other hand, stopped what she was eating when she heard the familiar voice and immediately looked behind her to confirm if the voice belongs to the person she's been waiting for.

Luffy blinked a few times to make sure she's seeing it right before smiling widely.

"Toraooooo! You came!"