10. Take Responsibility

Prang!

The sound of porcelains broken could be heard from the main palace. The eunuch and servants were all trying their best to reduce their presence. They were all afraid that they would be the next target.

"Hiding poison in the new tea that I have prepared, how bold." The cold and chilling voice caused everyone to tremble in fear. They all knew that the Empress was angry. To think that the new type of tea that she introduced in her last tea party was now used to hide a new type of poison.

"We have already arrested the culprit, Your Majesty." Prime Minister Feng Hou Zheng cupped his fist. His veins were bulging because he was angry that their first target ended up being his daughter. Even if he wanted to stay away from this case, it would be completely impossible.

His daughter was the one who got implicated.

"What type of poison is it?" The Emperor asked in a low tone. His eyes were cold and devoid of any emotion. Even though he was displeased that the accident occurred during the Imperial Party, he was someone who knew how to control his emotion well.

"It's a fast acting poison that worked like acid," The Imperial Doctor replied respectfully.

"How's Princess Ning?"

"Her life is saved." The Imperial Doctor was silent for a while. "However, the poison had damaged her vocal cord. It's unknown whether she can recover or not."

Vocal cord.

"Aaaaaa!" Wailing cries exploded from the side as Lin Xie Ya displayed her acting skill as a caring mother. She looked at her brother and begged, "Your Majesty, please get justice for my poor daughter. She's still young and should have a bright future, but this will make her life hard... (omitted 10,000 words)."

Listening to her description, it would seem as if she was truly a caring mother who was aggrieved for the injustice her daughter suffered. Though, those who were listening to her rambling would also wonder when she would end her complaint. The length alone was enough to make eight legged essay!*

Prime Minister Feng Hou Zheng also nodded strongly, acting as the most caring father in the world.

Only Feng Quan sneered in her heart because she knew that her parents didn't even spend more than an incense stick of time in their entire life to stay near her younger sister. They didn't even acknowledge her existence until recently when this accident occurred.

"I'll definitely get justice for her." The Emperor raised his hand, effectively stopping Lin Xie Ya from her ongoing performance. He turned his head to look at the side where Lin Han Xing was standing. "How do you plan to repay this favor, Lin Han Xing?"

At this moment, Lin Han Xing was cursing his wife (Lin Zi Xuan's mother)'s eight generation. He knew very well that Princess Ning was poisoned because she was drinking the cup that was supposed to be Lin Zi Xuan. If it was not because of her, the one who wouldn't be able to speak would be his son.

If he had to say, he would rather have his son turned mute rather than getting thrown into this mess!

"Your Majesty, this servant will definitely pay enough compensation for the damage on Princess Ning."

Lin Xie Ya looked at the man with indignation. "Compensation alone wouldn't be enough. Who would want to marry my daughter when they know that she's mute?"

Lin Han Xing was silent. He turned his head to look at his second son, who muttered under his breath, "Who would want to be with a mute? She wouldn't be able to do her job properly and will be nothing more than a hassle."

He nearly kicked his own son and screamed at his ear that it was actually an opportunity for him to get close to her. After all, his sons didn't have the legitimate right to inherit the throne despite having the same surname. But if they got married with one of the princesses, the next generation would be the legitimate heir.

That was, if the next emperor didn't have children either.

In any case, it was a much better position than being a prince from different surname like this. They would be able to gain more authority and also amassed even greater wealth compared than before.

"In that case, would you like for me to bestow a marriage agreement for your daughter, Imperial Sister?" the Emperor looked at his cunning sister.

Lin Xie Ya bowed politely. "Your Majesty, that would be for the best."

The Emperor looked at the eager Lin Han Xing, who nearly couldn't hide his thoughts. He naturally knew what was in that man's mind because Lin Han Xing was an ambitious man. He would not let go of this chance.

He looked at the two sons that Lin Han Xing had. Lin Zi Xuan was a bit old while Lin Hu Xi did have suitable age gap with Princess Ning.

"What do you think of Lin Han Xing's sons?"

Lin Xie Ya's expression faltered when she heard that. She didn't like this man and naturally knew that if her daughter got married to them, there was not much benefit that she could get. "Would it be appropriate, Your Majesty?"

"The one who caused your daughter to turn mute is Lin Zi Xuan." The Emperor looked at the quiet young man, who stood at the back. Even though Lin Zi Xuan was also Lin Han Xing's son, he wasn't favored and even hated. He, being the Emperor, didn't have any plan on allowing any of them gathering power under him.

"Wouldn't it be reasonable to have him responsible for her?"

Lin Xie Ya couldn't find any word to retort. After all, the other nobles had seen her daughter took the cup that belonged to Lin Zi Xuan. They were cousins, so while it might be a bit inappropriate, they could chalk it to a child's mischievousness.

But when the young princess was poisoned rather than the owner of the cup, this turned into a problem.

Many people would be talking about this matter.

"I wouldn't mind." Prime Minister Feng stood forward. "However, I still would like to have them to give compensation for the damage done to my beloved daughter."

"Compensation is only natural. In that case..."

"Wait, Your Majesty." Lin Han Xing's palm was sweating. "While it was true that the cause of the matter lies in Lin Zi Xuan, but he's far older than Princess Ning. Wouldn't it be more appropriate for my second son, Lin Hu Xi to replace him?"

Beside him, Lin Hu Xi's eyes widened when he heard what his father said. He didn't want to be with a mute! "Father, I..."

"Quiet!" Lin Han Xing glared at his son.

Lin Hu Xi shut his mouth unhappily. He didn't want to be together with a mute. Not to mention, if he were to marry an Imperial Princess, he couldn't take any concubine. What was so fun of staying together with someone who couldn't communicate well with him?

He didn't want it!

The Emperor watched their interaction then turned his head to look at Lin Zi Xuan. He had heard that this young man had some achievement at the battlefield, but it was limited to that.

There was nothing much remarkable from what he had done so far. "What do you think, Commander Zi Xuan?"

Lin Zi Xuan raised his head then cupped his fist. "This prince will obey your order Your Majesty and take responsibility for Princess Ning."

...

*Eight legged essay is the style of essay during Ming and Qing Dynasty. It's also used during Imperial Examination. For more information about how it looked like, you can search for the information by yourself.