21. Small Things to Bigger Things

Imperial Doctor Wu was worried for Princess Feng Ning.

But when they finally reached Rou City, he felt that all of his worry had been unnecessary. Princess Feng Ning didn't even show any discomfort when she had to stay in the carriage and ate the same food as them. They were clearly not as tasty as the ones she used to eat back in the palace, but there was not even a voice of complaint from her.

This made him a bit awe. Even the soldiers were surprised to see Princess Feng Ning's action that was very closely related to them, yet she showed none of it on her face.

"Your Highness, we're here."

Feng Ning nodded and took a cloth to cover up her mouth.

Imperial Doctor Wu blinked his eyes. "Is it necessary to prepare from now?"

"I don't want to be infected and trouble the others." Xiao Yu's voice traveled from the carriage. Clearly, Feng Ning had written on her palm and instructed for her to say this to Imperial Doctor Wu.

As they entered the city, the governor came out to greet them.

Feng Ning frowned when she saw the condition of the people on the street. It was very dirty. There were a lot of waste on the ground that had been turned into some kind of paste that she couldn't recognize anymore.

And it was everywhere.

There were also some people who were walking around in tattered clothes.

The condition was very bad.

"Governor, I would like to have a talk with you."

"Your Highness?" the governor was stunned.

Imperial Doctor Wu looked at the street condition then at the carriage. For a moment, he seemed to have an idea of what Feng Ning wanted them to do. And as the princess, it was only natural for others to follow her words.

They entered a room.

And not long after that, the people came out again.

This time, their faces were dark.

Only Feng Ning was calm as she walked with her maidservants. She didn't seem to care about how hard her words were towards these officials.

That day, Feng Ning gave instruction through Xiao Yu for them to start cleaning the street and to fetch more water to clean everything. At the same time, she also told Imperial Doctor Wu that they had to put the patients in separate room compared to the other villagers.

The sicknesses were not that severe, but they spread faster with the poor hygiene.

'I'm glad that the monarchy is very valued at this time.'

Feng Ning could see that even though the governor's face didn't look good and he didn't want to follow her, he still did it. It was all because they were all afraid of the Imperial Family and what the Imperial Family could do to them. Even though she's a girl, she's still part of the Imperial Family.

'But what I can actually do is limited.'

The habit of eating cleanly had to be cultivated and it would naturally take time. In the meantime, Feng Ning took the time to help Imperial Doctor Wu to diagnose the patients.

It was flu.

Looking at it, Feng Ning recalled the history she learned about Spanish flu and how fast they spread. Thankfully, it was not deadly and after learning how to clean themselves better, the sickness no longer spread that much.

In a matter of weeks, the matter could be said to be over.

Imperial Doctor Wu was looking at Feng Ning as the latter wrote the report of what happened here. She would submit this to her uncle and let him evaluate what she had done.