S1 Ch.9 A Jinxed Hive

It was an average day at the Hive Academy, would-be villains going to classes taught by "Villain Professors" and combat training that always ends in someone going to the infirmary, or the morgue.

The day was coming to an end and Jinx was thankful for it. Despite being one of the top students at the academy, it was still tiring and challenging. Today Jinx had been shot in the arm by one of the many sentry guns in her advanced combat class with Gizmo and Mammoth. She had gone to the infirmary and bandaged up by the doctor and sent away with a note that excused her from combat class for the next few days.

Jinx had made her back to her room and about to open the door when the incredibly annoying laughter of Gizmo rang from behind her. Jinx turned and saw that Gizmo was using his robotic spider legs to walk, Mammoth there too, standing next to Gizmo.

Gizmo: *laughing* "Nice going, Jinx. Cant wait to see how your grades will tank after that failure in class!"

Jinx growled and used her powers to make Gizmo's backpack short circuit, making him face plant into the floor.

Jinx: "How's that for tanking?"

Gizmo growled as he got to his feet, while Mammoth chuckled.

Mammoth: "Hey, Jinx, how come you failed the course anyway? What happened?"

Jinx sighed. She held her injured arm with her free hand and looked at the ground.

Jinx: "I've been distracted lately. Personal stuff."

Gizmo: "What? Your mother finally said she loved you?"

Gizmo began to laugh hysterically as Jinx growled. Jinx turned on her heel and quickly went into her room, locking the door when it closed. She leaned against the door and sighed. She threw herself onto her bed, spread eagle, and stared up at the ceiling.

Jinx lay in bed for a few minutes, her thoughts drifting from Gizmo's taunts to Y/n. When her thoughts drifted to Y/n, she smiled and looked at the small bookshelf she had. Her eyes were drawn to a specific book. She got out of bed and walked over to the bookcase and plucked the book from its spot. The title read, 'Sign Language 101: Speaking to the Unspeakable'. Jinx smiled at the book and took it to her desk. She took a notebook out of the desk drawer, the notebook was small enough to fit into one's pocket. She took out a pencil and opened the notebook, inside was a number of instructions how to properly perform hand signals. Jinx opened her book and began to write down a number of sentences in sign language.

Jinx: "How... Are... You... Today..."

After writing down each word, Jinx would practice the signals to say them a few times before moving onto the next work. After doing each word individually, she would start from the beginning and sign the whole sentence. After practicing for about an hour, she put her things away and began to start on the homework her classes assigned. The Academy was still a school after all.

She spent the next few hours doing her homework until it was time for bed. The next morning, Jinx did her usual morning routine, breakfast, shower, etc.

Later that day, in her class, Evil Schemes for Evil People, Jinx wasnt really paying attention to her professor as she gave a lecture. Jinx instead had her notebook opened to the back pages where she was drawing. Specifically, a detailed drawing of Y/n and herself dancing with Jinx wearing a long flowing dress and Y/n wearing a tuxedo.

Her teammates, Gizmo and Mammoth, were sitting next to her as usual. Gizmo to her left and Mammoth to her right. Mammoth leaned over and saw Jinx's drawing before was able to cover it with her arm.

Mammoth: *whispering* "Why are you drawing yourself with that Specter guy?"

Jinx: *whispering* "N-no I'm not! Mind your own business, Mammoth!"

Gizmo: *whispering* "How cute, she has a crush on that mute freak!"

Jinx glared at Gizmo, growling. Gizmo began to laugh quietly, but the Professor saw him.

Professor: "Gizmo! Is my lecture amusing you?"

Gizmo shot up in his seat.

Gizmo: "Uh, no Professor. Sorry, Professor."

Professor: "Either pay attention, or I'll send you to detention!"

Gizmo: "Yes, Professor."

Gizmo sunk into his seat as the Professor continued her lecture. Mammoth and Jinx were snickering at Gizmo.

After class, the students of the Academy were sent to lunch before their afternoon classes. Jinx separated herself from Gizmo and Mammoth to get her lunch. She sat down in the most secluded corner of the lunch room she could find and pulled out her notebook. She continued to draw as she ate her lunch. It wasnt long before Mammoth found her and sat down across from her. Jinx eyed him suspiciously as she didnt see Gizmo with him.

Jinx: "Where's Gizmo?"

Mammoth: "Talking with Professor McMurder. He wanted to talk about science stuff."

Jinx: "You gonna make fun of me for my drawing?"

Mammoth: "No, I'm not. I'm not Gizmo. You like a guy, so what? Why would I make fun of you for that?"

Jinx: "Why wouldnt you?"

Mammoth: "Cause your my friend."

Jinx stared at Mammoth, shock evident on her face. After a moment, Jinx smiled at Mammoth.

Jinx: "Thanks, Mammoth."

Mammoth: "No, problem. But I am kinda worried. There's no way you could date that Specter guy. Unless he became a bad guy, and even i know that wont happen."

Jinx: *sighs* "I know. But, what can I do? Become a good guy and join the Titans?"

Jinx and Mammoth look at each other in silence. Mammoth looks around, looking for anyone who might have heard them. When the coast seemed clear, he turned back to Jinx.

Mammoth: "You gotta be careful, Jinx."

Jinx: "I know, sorry. But... what if I did leave the Hive?"

Mammoth: "They would hunt you down. Even if you are with the Titans. Just forget about that idea, okay? Let's just eat."

Mammoth began to eat his food as Jinx looked down at her drawing.

Jinx: "Yeah, sure...."