S1 Ch.13 Escaping the Hive

It was another day at Hive Academy. More villains, more violence... and more Gizmo.

"Man, you just keep getting worse!" Gizmo shouted as he laughed down the hall. Following behind him were Mammoth and Jinx. Jinx was holding an ice pack to her head, as she was sporting a new bruise and headache from combat training.

"Come on, Gizmo, leave her alone. She's got a lot on her mind." Mammoth said, defending Jinx.

"Yeah, a concussion!" Gizmo said, cackling some more. Jinx growled and tried to use her powers to trip the pint sized terror, only to become dizzy and trip herself. Thankfully, Mammoth caught her and help get her back on her feet.

"Thanks, Mammoth."

"No problem. Take it easy, you did take a pretty big hit."

Eventually, Gizmo decided to head back to his room, leaving Mammoth and Jinx alone in the hall. Mammoth, the gentle giant that he was, helped Jinx to her room. At her door, she nearly passed out. Mammoth caught her and set her down on her bed, where he noticed her backpack was packed full of clothes, books, and other personal items.

"You're leaving, aren't you?" Mammoth asked.

"Yes.." Jinx answered after a moment.

"When?"

"Tonight. After lights out."

Mammoth is quiet. He looks at Jinx, curled up on her bed, before letting his eyes wander her room. He sees a drawing on her desk, her computer tucked away in her backpack from where it was, it was a nicely drawn sketch of herself, only she was a little older. She stood in front of a house, a man next to her, and two small children in front of them.

"You want a family." Mammoth said quietly.

"... Yeah... I never had one of my own... I shouldn't be thinking about that sort of stuff, but I just do. I'm only sixteen, but sometimes I wonder if I'll ever live to be seventeen..."

"Dont talk like that."

"And why not?" Jinx asked, a bit of bitterness in her voice.

"Because you shouldn't. It's not right to talk like that. You can have a family one day, anything is possible."

"Not until I get out of here."

"Then we're getting you out." Mammoth declared.

"We?"

"That's right. You cant do it by yourself, Jinx. The second you leave, the Hive will know. You wont make it ten miles before they get you. But, if I'm a distraction, well..."

"Mammoth, no!" Jinx jumped up from her bed and ran up to Mammoth. "If you help me and they catch you, do you even know what they'll do?!"

Mammoth stared at Jinx for a moment. The girl was so small compared to him, but he always thought she was a giant. He reached over and picked up the drawing from her desk.

"If it means one of us can have this, I'll do it." There was a certain determination in Mammoth's voice. Jinx began to tear up and hugged her oversized friend. Mammoth returned the hug, they separated after a moment. "Get your things ready, we dont have that much time."

Over the next hour, Jinx had gathered her valuables in her backpack and was waiting for Mammoth to give the word. After a few minutes of waiting, Mammoth knocks on the door three times, signaling Jinx.

Jinx opened the door and ran down the hallway with Mammoth. The halls are quiet and dark as they run. They approached the farthest wall on the eastern side of the Academy. In front of them was a locked door.

"Okay, Mammoth. Here we go, the second we open this door, the alarms are gonna go off, are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

Jinx nods and uses her magic to unlock the door. As soon as the lock clicks open, a blaring alarm sounds and red lights flash throughout the Academy.

"Shit! Run!" Jinx shouts.

Jinx and Mammoth run through the door and out into the cool night air of the unnamed forest the Academy is located. Jinx and Mammoth raced through the trees, getting farther away from the Academy, but the stopped in their tracks at the sight of someone standing in front of them.

"Hello, children. Lively night for a stroll, dont you think?"

 Lively night for a stroll, dont you think?"

"Brother Blood." Mammoth said, slight fear in his voice. "Jinx, run!"

Jinx took off into the forest while Mammoth stayed behind, staring down Blood.

"How far do you think she'll get, Mammoth?"

"Farther than I will." Mammoth charged at Brother Blood, yelling. Blood smiled as Mammoth approached.

From father into the forest, Jinx heard the blood curdling scream of Mammoth behind her, but she continued to run. She fought every instinct to turn around and help Mammoth, but this was her only chance.

As she ran, Jinx came across several Hive drones and robots searching for her, but she easily disparaged them. She ran until the early hours of the morning, the sun just starting to peak over the horizon. She eventually came across a sign off the side of a road that read, Jump City 100 Miles.

Jinx could hear the metallic foot steps of robots behind her and she took off running down the side of the road. She looked behind her towards the forest and at the treeline she could see Brother Blood, smiling.

"I'm sorry, Mammoth."

From the forest, Brother Blood watched as Jinx ran away.

"Yes, run child. Run anywhere you like, run to the Titans. But, you will never escape the Hive." Blood laughed as Jinx grew smaller in the distance.