Nine

Madison sat in bed with Summer. She looked to her and smiled. Madison knew that Summer was her world. And she knew that she'd do anything she could to keep her. Even if it meant taking up Max on his offer saying that he was her father.

Madison knew how the father wasn't listed on her birth certificate. But she knew that there was a reason for that. And she knew that it was because she wasn't so sure of who Summer's father was.

She knew that she and Max had hooked up around the same time she did with Chris. But she always thought it was Chris. But the more that she thought about it, the more she wasn't so sure.

Madison knew that she wanted to find out the truth of it all. She knew that it scared her.

Madison ran a hand through her hair and looked to Summer and smiled. She stood from the bed and picked Summer up. She held her on her hip and smiled as she rang Max.

"Hey. It's me, I want to talk to you about everything that's going on. Call me back."

Madison knew just how messy things were.

****

Madison got to work. She walked into the staffroom as she saw Amelia. Amelia looked to her sister and smiled. "Hey. Are you okay?" She asked.

Madison sighed and shook her head. "Summer. She may not be Chris's. I don't know what to do. She could be Max's and it's a mess. I know I should have told you earlier. I don't want you to hate me."

Amelia looked to her and frowned. "Why would I hate you?" She asked as she looked to her sister. She could never hate her.

"Because you and Max just broke up. I just broke up with Chris. And we got drunk," Madison told her.

Amelia looked to her. She smiled. "You are my sister. I love you. Me and Max were over a long time ago. Look, if he is Summer's father, then I know that he will be there for you. Look. It will be okay. You can do this. You can make it all work out," she told her as Madison looked to her sister and smiled.

She was grateful for how supportive that Amelia was. But she knew that finding out if Max was Summer's father would change everything. And she knew just how much that scared her.

She knew that everything would change.

****

Madison walked into Max's office. She smiled as he looked to her. "I got your message." 

Madison looked to him and smiled. "I think we need to talk about Summer and everything else. I think we need to find out if you are her father. So when my mother tries to take her from me, then she doesn't have a leg to stand on," she told him.

Max looked to her and nodded. "I think you are right. We have been avoiding the subject for long enough," he said as Madison smiled.

She knew how the whole situation terrified her.