Four

Madison had been thinking about making things official with Max. She knew she had Summer to think of but she also knew that Max adored Summer. All Madison wanted for her daughter was someone to love and care for her daughter.

When she woke that morning, she had Summer in bed with her. She kissed her head and pulled her close. She couldn't believe her little girl was almost seven months old.

Madison went downstairs with Summer. Rachel was awake. She looked at Madison. "I don't want you seeing Max. He's the wrong type of guy," she said.

Madison rolled her eyes. She put Summer in the high chair. "Look, I get it. You don't want me to be happy. Because you want me to be miserable so you can always be the one to pick up the pieces."

"That's not true Madison. I care about you. You will see that Max doesn't. He only wants one thing. Sex."

Madison scoffed. "Well we haven't had sex yet. So I doubt that very much mother," she spat.

Rachel sighed. She knew there was no point in arguing with Madison. Not when she had her mind set on something.

***
Madison went to work after taking Summer to her playgroup. Chris was there with Kim. Chris walked over. "How's Summer?"

"Stay away from me. You do not get to abandon your daughter and then ask about her when it suits you. It doesn't work like that Chris," Madison said as she walked inside.

Chris followed. "She's my daughter Madison. I've got rights," he told her.

"You gave up those rights when you didn't bother with her. Just keep away."

Chris shook his head. "If that's how you want to play it then fine. I'll contact my lawyer and demand custody," he said.

***
Madison was terrified. She knew she couldn't afford a custody battle while still in University part time. She walked to Max's office.

Max looked up and smiled. "Morning."

"I-I don't know what to do."

Max frowned. "What's happened?" He asked as he sat with Madison on the sofa.

Madison broke down crying. She looked at Max. "C-Chris, he said he's going to take me to court for custody of Summer. I can't afford a custody battle. Let alone a lawyer," she sobbed.

Max nodded. "Well this is where I come in. I will help you with this. We will get you the best lawyer there is. We won't let him win," he said.

Madison looked at Max. "You'd help me?"

Max nodded and kissed her gently. "The way I see it, Summer doesn't know who he is. Therefore if we get the best lawyer we can, we can make sure he won't win. There isn't a judge in the world who would give custody to a man who doesn't bother with his child," he said in an attempt to calm her down.

Madison kissed him again. She knew she had Max's support. But would she be able to keep her little girl with her or would she lose her to Chris?