outstanding (f.w)

When failing transfiguration, McGonagall knows exactly what to do when pairing Fred Weasley with the quiet Ravenclaw most fail to recognize.

Warnings: very brief mentions of food

Word Count: 2.9 k

• —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– •

The sound of the castle bell chimed yet again, signalling the end of class after a long and tiring day. Most students jumped up from their seats the moment it rang, not even bothering to bid their professor goodbye or listen to their end-of-day lectures. Fred Weasley was typically part of this restless group, often skipping out the door a few minutes early without a care in the world. But today, before he could run off into the corridors and cause mischief with every step he took, he was held back by the stern voice of McGonagall, wincing as he had almost slipped through the door.

It had been about a week since he failed his Transfiguration test. While he had tried to use Quidditch as an excuse, both he and the Head of Gryffindor House knew that his lack of studying was not due to the upcoming Quidditch season. However, this had to be kept a secret from the all-knowing professor, so he made his way towards her with the most confident smile he could muster, winking swiftly at the shy girl standing next to her.

"Mr. Weasley, I assume you are aware of your latest test results?" McGonagall quipped, eyeing the ginger with daggers as she summoned his paper with a flick of her wand.

There, floating before him, was his failing grade – a giant letter 'P' used to indicate his poor efforts.

It was then that he had realized he was not the only student in the room, peering sheepishly at the girl standing across from him as McGonagall continued with her scolding. He half expected you to grimace or stifle a laugh at his pathetic grade, but was pleasantly surprised to see that you hadn't cared, saving him the humiliation by shifting your gaze towards your shoes.

He had faintly recognized you as the quiet Ravenclaw in his Charms class.  Although, he had to admit, he hadn't paid you much attention. He wasn't even aware that you had shared a Transfiguration class – which was surprising considering that term had started months ago. He almost felt bad not knowing who you were, but was cut short from his daze at the voice of his professor.

"Mr. Weasley, I am afraid to inform you that in order to pass my class some studying must be done. As I recognize that I cannot trust you to do this on your own, I have asked dear Ms. Y/L/N, over here, to lend you a hand," she finished, gesturing sweetly to the quiet girl standing next to her.

Your hand raised in a small wave as you had finally met eyes with the Gryffindor before you, a soft smile gracing your lips as you did so. It wasn't often that the two of you conversed — truth be told, it wasn't often that the two even gazed at one another — but something about your soft eyes and the way you toyed with the thread of your sleeve made the ginger excited to see you again.  Fred let out a soft chuckle when a light pink tinged your cheeks.

"I expect that the two of you will meet once a week until our next examination. Until then, I have faith that Ms. Y/L/N will do well in assisting you."

• —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– •

The following afternoon marked the first of your many tutoring sessions. The two of you had agreed to meet in the library, but you were rather surprised that the ginger known to skip class and disrupt lessons was willing to spend time with you on a Saturday. While you had felt nervous to spend such a large portion of the day with one of the school's most infamous pranksters, Fred was over the moon excited and strolled into the quiet room with a skip in his step.