nothing to prove (f.w)

You don't feel that you belong at the Burrow and do everything that you can to impress Mrs. Weasley.

Warnings: brief mentions of insecurity

Word Count: 831

• -- ٠ ✤ ٠ -- •

It was a hot summer day at the Weasley residence as rays seeped through the glass and onto the skin of your shoulders.  Your hair was tied up messily, your hands clad in a pair of golden rubber gloves as they worked to scrub each dirty dish.  Mrs. Weasley's dinner was delicious but left quite the mess to clean.  So, you made sure to offer your help when she cleared the table after supper.

You sighed as you took a moment to admire their home. Peering out the window and into the front yard, flowers bloomed from the Weasley garden where the plants were watered without aid.  The red-headed family seemed to be preparing for a game of quidditch.  As a very talented yet competitive ‌household, you were not surprised to see the twins on separate teams.  Fred's toned muscles peeked through the fabric of his scrimmage clothes as he approached the front door.  Even after each one of his practices, the sight never failed to cause butterflies.

"Why don't you come outside, love?" Fred chimed, his arms immediately wrapping around your waist.  He rested his chin against your shoulder, being sure to leave gentle kisses in its wake.

"I'm almost done with the dishes.  I'll be sure to join once they're dry and put away," you smiled, letting out a tired breath as you slowly rinsed Mr. Weasley's plate.  You felt as Fred hugged you closer to his chest. Taking your chin in his palm, he turned you to face him.

"What's wrong, darling?  You seem a little stressed," Fred whispered as you allowed your sponge to sink into the soapy water of the sink.  His gaze had the power to unlock every small emotion you were bottling up.

"I'm fine, Freddie," you sighed, pressing a quick kiss to his lips.  "I promised your mum I would help.  I don't want to disappoint her."

"Is that what this is about?" he spoke gently, causing your eyes to soften and your smile to slip.

"I'm just afraid she doesn't like me," you mumbled, allowing your eyes to hang low.  Your thoughts drifted to Angelina and Hermione, who were easily accepted into the family.  They were perfect for the Weasley boys.  What did you have to offer?

"Y/n, love.  I promise mum adores you!  You have absolutely nothing to prove." 

He watched as you reached for another dish, beginning to slowly scrub away its contents.  He could tell you were pushing past tears, searching for anything to distract you.  He didn't want to be the reason they spilled.  Suddenly, a quaffle from outside was launched ‌into the wall, causing you to jolt backward and drop the soapy dish on the floor.

"Oh no!" you shrieked, dropping to the floor to inspect the mess. Your tears began to fall as you found the Weasley's china broken into several tiny shards.  You began to ramble, completely neglecting the wand in your pocket.

"I broke it, Freddie!   Oh, she was telling me all about how much she loved these plates," you cried, frantically removing your gloves while searching for a broom.

"Hey, hey, it's okay.  See?" Fred chimed, fixing the mess with a flick of his wand.  You felt foolish as you watched the ‌plate become one once more, before all of the dishes were set to wash themselves.

Fred took you into his arms, frowning as he felt you weep against him.

"My love, don't cry," he cooed, guiding you to sit with him at the table.  He began to slowly ‌stroke your hair, mumbling sweet nothings in your ear.

"You know I love you, right?" he mumbled, pressing a kiss to your forehead.  He was happy to see you nod, though your eyes remained closed.

"Why don't I help you dry the dishes?  Then we can join everyone else, hmm?"  His tone was soft and gentle as he caressed your sides.  He always knew how to soothe you.

"Everything alright in here?" Mrs. Weasley sang as she peeked through the front door.  She gasped at the sight that she found, immediately rushing to help you.

"Oh dear, what happened? Did Fred do something? He can do his own laundry if that's how he wants to behave."

"Oi!  It wasn't me!" Fred scoffed, curtly avoiding the ‌fierce look in his mother's eyes.  He smiled, however, when he heard your giggles.

"Would you like to come on a walk with me, dear?" Mrs. Weasley offered, paying no attention to the sink full of dishes behind you.

"That sounds lovely, Mrs. Weasley."

You released a shaky breath, smiling as Fred helped you up and squeezed your hand in his.

"Oh, please. Call me Molly, dear!"

"I told you she loves you," Fred whispered, pressing a kiss to your cheek as he walked out the door with you by his side.

Your arm joined Molly's as you walked alongside one another, glad to finally feel as though you had a place in the‌ Weasley ‌family.  And you owed it all to Fred.