my knight in shining armour (d.m)

The sovereignty isn't kind to the princess who longs for a way to save her one true love.

Warnings: ROYAL AU! , brief mentions of wounds/injury, a little angsty

Word Count: 908

A/N: This was quite fun to write so I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do! Let me know if you like this AU and I will definitely use it again :)

• —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– •

You sat in front of your vanity mirror, watching a tear drip down your cheek.  You had begged him not to do it — had gotten down on your knees and prayed that he would never leave your side.

But he had been training all his life for a moment like this.  The Lords would arrive shortly.  And your beloved squire would soon become knight.

You wiped at the silver lining of your eyes, hearing the scolding voice of your mother as you urged yourself not to cry. In your mother's eyes, the perfect husband was out there waiting for you.  And he would be the one to sweep you off your feet.

Little did she know how wrong she was.

A knock on your window pulled you from your thoughts.  Furrowing your eyebrows, you stood hesitantly from your place.  There was only one who had ever dared to visit from your window.  And you weren't too sure if you wanted to see him right now. 

You looked around the room, searching for a reason to ignore it. But you never could.  You'd answer a call from that window even if a dragon was waiting outside.

You'd risk every odd in the book if there was a chance it would be him.

Flattening down your gown, you drew the blinds open to find the most amusing of sights.

Outside the glass was the striking blonde boy who had captured your heart years ago.  He smiled when your face came into view, his hair tousled, standing up from all ends while covered in dirt.  And he sat on the brittle branch of a tree he had been climbing since he learnt that your bedroom stood at the very top of the tower.

You rolled your eyes at the sight, hiding the smug smile tugging at your lips as you reached to close the drapes.

But you let a laugh fall free when he threw himself against the glass.

"Please?" he pleaded, his expression solemn and full of guilt.

You sighed, slowly pulling at the latch on the glass until it cracked open.

Draco swung his legs onto the windowsill, pushing off of the tree's trunk as he carefully shuffled his way in.  You bit your lip when he sent you the saddest of smiles.

"Hi, princess," he breathed, hesitantly settling in the spot next to you.  You stared down at your lavender bedspread.  You could not count how many times he had snuck his way in — having to bargain with your lady-in-waiting when she had caught him spending the night. 

You hadn't bothered to answer, letting out the smallest of hums to confirm you had heard him.

"I'll be gone by sunrise," Draco started, his hand finding its way into yours.  "I hoped to say my goodbyes."

You sniffled, squeezing his large hand in your own.  You recognized the cuts and gashes that lined his arms, all of which a result of his training, no doubt — or maybe his time spent climbing up that jagged tree.  Nevertheless, it had you worried that far worse would happen as time went on.

You shrugged, attempting to keep the tears at bay, "Goodbye, then, Sir Malfoy."

Draco scoffed, shaking his head from beside you.

"Sir Malfoy?" he repeated, his charming smile nowhere near present, "When did we ever respect the formalities?"

You shrugged, yet again, feeling your voice wobble with your words.

"Since you decided to run away and play knight in shining armour."

Draco didn't need another reason to gather you into his arms.  In less than a second, your eyes were leaking with tears, your head rested in his shoulder as you punched at his broad chest.

Your weeps broke him.  He didn't know how to help.  All his life he had been told that his job was to serve the sovereignty — to fight for a worthy cause.  This was the life he was born to live.

Yet, it seemed to be doing far more worse than good.

He remained silent for a moment, cradling you in his arms while pressing kisses wherever he could.  And slowly but surely, your frame fell limp in his chest.

"I'll come back for you," Draco whispered, tucking a strand of damp hair behind your ear.  "You have my word."

Pulling your head away from its spot in his neck, you peered up at him with glossy eyes.

You wondered if you would ever speak with him again — if his voice would ever be heard from outside your window.  His lips, soft and pink; would they kiss you in abandoned corridors until the sky fell dark?  Or beneath the sunrise when you sought an escape?  You would miss the sweet letters left by your doorstep, and the early morning strolls through the garden.

Leaning forward, you captured his lips in your own. 

You felt Draco's tears slip down your cheek.  One by one, they fell, joining the soft sighs and light whimpers captured in the kiss. Calloused palms cupped your face, his chapped lips slowly chasing after your own.

You were taking the time to memorize one another.  Even after all this time, it felt as though all the kisses in the world would not make up for the lost time.

Knights didn't always return from battle.   And you had been promised to another.

Draco moved to the skin of your neck, placing two slow kisses down your jawline.

"I love you, my princess," Draco mumbled, resting his forehead against your own while wiping at the silver lining of your eyes.

"I love you," you whispered, "My knight in shining armour."