surprise (f.w)

Fred returns home from a business trip to his lovely financé and the sweetest surprise.

Warning: alludes to sex if you squint

Word Count:  1 k

• —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– •

"I know I need to go but — one more kiss," Fred mumbled, his lips catching yours with the biggest of smiles.

An old band tee fell across your torso, hiding the checkered boxer shorts you stole from Fred.

A three-week trip to France awaited the Weasley twins as they set out to expand their growing business. Their suitcases were packed and ready to go with all the required forms and latest prototypes. You had spent the night telling Fred about your concerns. After all, three weeks was a long time; you would miss his cuddles after long days and dread lonesome breakfasts in the morning. But Fred put your worries to rest, having given you enough love in one night to last in his absence.

His hands fell slightly, making you squeal with excitement. He always loved the sight of you in his clothes — especially after the night you had.

Waving goodbye, you smiled giddily when you caught his wink through the crack in the doorway.

• —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– •

A faint lock of the front door was heard, its hinges slowly squeaking open. It was far too early in the morning for Fred's liking, still growing accustomed to the time difference now that he was back home. While of course, the trip was lovely, having stayed with Bill and Fleur while they visited family, the bitter cold of England was quick to welcome them home.

George shuddered, rubbing his hands together while searching for his gloves. Unlike Fred, George hated the cold.

"Let's hurry, then," George muttered, missing the chuckle that escaped Fred's lips. "I promised Lee I would visit the moment we got back — and you know how dramatic he can be."

Fred only smiled, helping levitate their luggage through the front door before George apparated to Lee's place.

Fred didn't waste any time, shrugging off his jacket while kicking off his shoes. He left his luggage by the front door, wordlessly locking it with his wand before placing it on the kitchen table.

Darkness engulfed the flat as Fred gingerly reached for the switch of a lamp. He hadn't expected you to be up. As a matter of fact, he was excited to surprise you in a few hours when you'd awake to find him home.

Eyeing his bedroom door just down the hall, he was careful not to make a sound.

A small snore caught his attention. Fred furrowed his brows, following the noise back into the living space of their small flat.

He smirked when he found you.

Your eyes were closed, hair sprawled across a pillow while tucked snug between the cushions of the couch. He noticed you shiver slightly, despite the pile of quilts you lay beneath.

Oh, how he missed this sight.

He missed cuddling with you on the couch before bed, able to press kisses to your soft skin whenever he so pleased. He recognized the collar of his flannel peaking out from beneath you. He had purposefully forgotten it that morning three weeks ago, knowing just how much you loved it.

Carefully, Fred tiptoed into the room. He wondered why you slept on the couch. After all, he had a collection of letters from you in which you bragged about having the king-sized bed all to yourself. Kneeling down on the rug, Fred admired the features he adored so much.

"I'm home, my love," Fred whispered, his lips lingering on your forehead.

He watched as you stirred slightly, your drowsy eyes fluttering open.

Fred's heart skipped a beat when you smiled. It was soft, laced with sleep — quite possibly the cutest thing he had seen in a while.

A smirk tugged at Fred's lips as you rushed to lift your blanket. It took a moment, considering you were layered in an array of colourful quilts, but Fred was content to sit and wait.

Latching yourself onto him, you let out a sigh as he joined you on the sofa.

"I missed you," you mumbled, body pressed flush against his.

Fred smiled, pressing slow kisses across your shoulder, "I missed you too, angel."

You stayed like that for a while, slow breaths and sweet words filling the silence.

You smiled when his hands slipped beneath your borrowed shirt, caressing the skin of your belly as he moved to pull you closer.

The knot in your stomach tightened.

It seemed sleep allowed you to escape the thoughts that had been troubling your mind. You had drifted off only hours ago, deciding to rest on the couch as you awaited Fred's arrival. You had news that could not wait.

"Freddie?" you whispered, fingers toying with the hairs at the nape of his neck.

Fred hummed, his breath tickling your skin. He pulled away after a moment, recognizing the worry in your tone.

"Hey," he smiled, brushing your hair behind your ear, "What's wrong?"

You swallowed, forcing a smile to your lips. "I have news."

You paused for a moment, searching for the right words.

"I broke the microwave," you breathed.

Fred smirked, a chuckle escaping his lips as he pulled you closer.

"Did you now?" He smiled, tilting his head to the side. "What's the real news?"

You huffed, hands slowly reaching for his as you brought them to your stomach.

"We were lonely while you were gone" you whispered, biting back a smile.

"We?" Fred sniggered, throwing his head back. "Did you and mum have a slumber party I don't know about?"

You glared at Fred, nodding towards your belly.

Fred gasped, caressing your soft skin.

"No way," he breathed, "Are we —?"

"Mm-hmm," you giggled. "You are not going anywhere for the next nine months."

Fred only chuckled, dipping his head down to cover every inch of your stomach in kisses.

"Hey little one," he mused, "It's your dad. I can't wait to meet you."

You let a smile tug at your lips, watching fondly as Fred's eyes welled with tears. He turned to you, hooking his arms around your waist as he lifted you onto his lap.

"How long have you known?" Fred asked, his eyes flickering back down towards your belly.

"About a week," you shrugged.

Fred furrowed his eyebrows before the realization washed over him. A smug smile stretched across his lips.

"I remember that night," Fred smirked, wiggling his eyebrows.

You scoffed, striking him over the head with a pillow.

"Only kidding!" Fred laughed.

"You should have told me," he mumbled, "I would've apparated back as soon as I heard."

You shook your head, running a hand through his ginger hair.

"I thought this was a better surprise."

Fred smirked, pulling you into the biggest hug.

"You're right, darling," he smiled. "Best surprise ever."