let it snow (f.w)

Worried that he will spend yet another Christmas alone, Fred finds himself in the middle of a snowstorm romance.

Warnings: none!

Word Count: 2.6k

A/N: i have been working on this for who knows how long and I am so beyond excited to share it with you all! enjoy!

• —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

The wind whirled from outside, causing shop signs to swing and bells to jingle.  The storm had locked everyone indoors, leaving the cobblestone street cold and bare.  Knowing this, Fred took his time getting ready that morning. 

He slowly slid on his shirt, doing the buttons one by one before securing his tie.  He and George had big plans for December, starting with a wardrobe change.  Green and red now flooded their store, and ties adorned in mini candy canes became a must-have. 

Dragging himself into the kitchen, Fred summoned a cup of tea. He took a long sip, relishing in the sweet flavour as it coated his throat.   Fred found the warm liquid calming, especially since the war.  It reminded him of home, as Molly would share her tea with the young Weasleys whenever they grew curious.  He hadn't gone one morning since without a taste of the beloved drink.

Fred relied on this routine, it kept him sane through all this time.  But with the holidays approaching, it dawned on Fred just how much time had passed.  His siblings were doing big things with their lives: Bill and Fleur prepared to welcome their second child, and Ginny and Harry had gotten married the summer before.  Fred felt stuck, as though time had passed while he remained still.  Making his way down into the shop, he wondered if things may change this Christmas.

Settling behind the till, Fred leaned back in his seat as he waited for the long day to pass.

• —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

Fred huffed, standing tall from on top of a stool on the outskirts of the shop.  He had just bid goodbye to George who had a date with Angelina in Hogsmeade.  It was last minute, something they had decided over owl that very morning.  They figured it was perfect timing, thankful for the snow that covered the town.

Fred wouldn't be surprised if the two stayed the night at the Three Broomsticks.

Tugging his hat over his ears, he closed his eyes when a harsh gust of wind almost toppled him over.  Christmas lights now lined the roof of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.  All that was left to do was secure the last few bulbs.

A loud POP startled Fred from his spot, causing him to stumble from side to side with nothing but his mitted hands to keep him steady.

He clung to the gutter above him, feeling as the stool that held him upright slid from beneath his feet.  He yelped when his grip was lost.

"Oh, Merlin!" you shrieked, kneeling on the floor where Fred lay.

His hat was splayed out on a patch of ice, his groans sounding beneath the wind.  You winced as he sat up, watching as he rubbed at his aching forehead.

"I am so sorry!" you breathed, offering him a hand as he stood.  Your ears burned red and the cold bit at your frozen fingertips.  Reaching down, you were quick to retrieve his beanie.

"I assume the shop is closed?" you asked, smiling weakly when his eyes met yours.

Fred froze when he found you, his cheeks warming despite the cold.  You were bundled from head to toe, clad in a long, knit scarf and fluffy boots.  Flurries collected on the ends of your lashes, adorning your warm, kind eyes. Fred had to try his hardest not to get lost in them.