open me (g.w)

Warnings:  mentions of loneliness.

George has left to pursue his dreams but made sure to leave a little box of mementos behind — each one finding a way to ease your conflicted heart.

Word Count: 1.7 k

• —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– •

They were gone. Your favourite people in the whole world — the boy who holds your heart in the palm of his hand. They were gone with a bang; off to pursue their childhood dreams.

The silence was unfamiliar. You couldn't remember the last time your dorm room had felt so empty. Even with everything in its place, a special piece of the puzzle was missing.

You sat on your mattress with a lump in your throat, your eyes low and your sparkle dull. You were happy knowing that he was off living his dreams, but no one could blame you for feeling sad. Things were coming to an end, and starting a new chapter without him was proving rather difficult to do. Especially with the pink toad who terrorized the school grounds.

With a deep sigh, you took in the vacant room around you. Angelina's four-poster was perfectly made. Her favourite teddy rested against her pillows, along with the team captain jersey. She had awoken early that morning for beater tryouts, and you could only assume that she was still out on the pitch. There was a lot you could tell from one's bedspread.

Peering at your own side of the room, you found the very reason for your smile. A moving picture of you and George sat on your nightstand. It was corny and drove your roommates mad, but you loved it just the same. Rested on the windowsill was a pot of lilies you and George had picked a few days prior. It was one of the many activities he had planned before his departure, and reminded you of the beautiful day beneath the sun.

But as you looked around and took in everything you held dearest, a rather peculiar sight caught your eye. Just beside your bed sat a small cardboard box.  The note taped on top read the words "open me" in an all too familiar font. Piquing your interest, you carefully climbed and sat cross-legged on your rug before prying it open.

A pile of letters. That was what you found. They were neatly folded, with rather messy printing scratched upon the back. And they stared back at you blankly, encouraging your curious mind to dig for more.

A sudden scent wafted through your nose when your head inched closer. It reminded you of an all too familiar boy, unintentionally causing your chest to tighten. What had he left for you?

Picking up the first envelope, you followed each loop of his letters with your eyes. It read "when you need a laugh."  Your eyebrows knit together with curiosity, but didn't stop a smile from tugging at your lips.

"When you are mad at me," the next one read, causing your cheeks to redden. You rolled your eyes playfully, but agreed that maybe you were a little angry. After all, he had left you alone with Umbridge.

But you hadn't expected the next two to be so sincere. Reading the messages on the final two letters, you realized that you were feeling a mix of emotions all at once, and decided that maybe opening them together would do you good.

So, turning back to the very first envelope, you began to read — the sound of his voice still playing in your mind.

When you need a laugh

Hello there, my darling.

I hear that my girl is sad, so I am here to make you smile again. So grab some chocolate frogs and settle in tight, because I have a very funny story to tell ;)