as proud as can be (g.w)

George has big news to tell Fred when he visits his grave in Godric's Hollow.

Warnings: mentions of grief, death

Word Count:  1 k

A/N: It pains me to say this, but no, Fred does not live in this one-shot.  This is a story about George's healing <3

• —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– •

George's feet crunched against the autumn leaves, his hand clasped in yours as you strolled through the small town.   It was a chilly afternoon, leaving you wrapped up in scarves and mitts knit by Molly Weasley.  While those around you seemed in a bit of a rush, you and George took your time as always.

George heaved in a breath, feeling a whole flood of emotions all at once. It would not be the first time he visited Fred's grave, nor the last. He had returned every month since the war, now becoming a habit that he simply cannot break.

There had once been a time when George practically lived in the graveyard, unable to leave when the day came to a close. But now, it serves as a form of comfort and connection between the twins. Worlds would not keep them apart and George always had stories to tell.

This month's story the most exciting of them all.

"I can't wait to tell him," George breathed, squeezing your hand in his own as you moved down the trail. The October breeze gave you all the more reason to remain close.

You let a watery smile tug on your lips, "Me too, Georgie."

After three years, you knew the path down Godric's Hollow just as well as you knew your George. There was no need to think as your feet led you where you needed to go.

You passed by a few friends, many of which classmates or teachers from your time at Hogwarts. George no longer scowled as he came across the familiar stone of Severus Snape. Instead, George nodded gravely at the words engraved across his tombstone.

Lavender Brown, Colin Creevey, Nymphadora Tonks

Names upon names lined your pathway to Fred, all of which labelled heroes for their efforts in the battle. They served as a reminder of what had happened on that dreaded day years ago. But you had learnt in time that the pain was a good sign.

It meant that their legacy lived on.

Rounding the bend, George halted his movement as he came face to face with the familiar words.

Fred Gideon Weasley

BORN April 1, 1978
DIED May 2, 1998

Warrior in the Battle of Hogwarts

Beloved son, brother and prankster
until the very end.

George's finger skimmed its passage, having memorized it like a matron the moment it was written. Even after all this time, the sight of Fred's stone brought tears to his eyes.

"Hey, Freddie," George sighed, trying his best to smile as he pressed a kiss to Fred's headstone. It had become easier after the first few visits. But still, George forced the saddest of grins.

"I've brought a special guest with me today," George chuckled, hand still clasped in yours as you dropped down on your knee to pay your respects.

"We miss you, Freddie," you mumbled, adding to the collection of orange tulips that surrounded his grave. George had charmed them years ago, ensuring that they never wilted or grew old.  He would do what he could do preserve the little things his twin left behind.  After all, it had always been his favourite colour.

George looked to you as you stood, his lip wobbling as he struggled to find his words. The past few years had been exceptionally difficult for George. It had taken years for him to smile again, his ginger hair slowly growing back beneath the brown he had once dyed it. Looking in the mirror was never an easy task in the morning, but he pushed through it day after day.

You didn't blame him for waiting so long. If anything, you were glad he took some time to heal.

Watching a tear drip down his cheek, you were quick to pull George into your side until he was ready.

George wiped at his eyes, pressing a kiss to the diamond that sat on your finger.

"We've got good news," George sniffled, letting an airy laugh escape his lips. He couldn't help but chuckle as he thought back on his time with his brother. There never was a dull moment between the two.

"I've finally done it," he smiled, giddily rocking on his heels, "I proposed, Freddie. Just like I promised you I would."

Your heart swelled at his words, tear after tear falling by the minute. You always learnt something new about George on these visits. Whether he was confessing a secret held between twins or recalling stories from their rebellious childhood, he always enjoyed his time with his brother. You were happy to be his hand to hold through it all.

George looked down at you, pressing his lips to your forehead. You felt his tear-clad lashes brush against your skin.

"You should have seen the way she kissed me," George teased, allowing the colour to flood your cheeks.

You chuckled, sensing Fred's cheeky smirk from worlds away.

"We have the date set for June third," you smiled, wiping at your eyes as the next words fell. "We hope you will be there, Freddie."

You stood in silence for a brief moment, eyes trained on the petals that litter his tomb. George's eyes went wide when the soil before you began to dip and fold.

There, in the small patch of dirt, lay the word 'PROUD'  for all to see. The writing was none other than Fred Weasley's, as his letters were scribbled in that same chicken-scratch script from his Hogwarts days. You watched with glassy eyes as hearts were traced across the soil.

It was days like these that you were grateful for magic.

George knelt down, watching in amazement as heart after heart was etched into the dirt.

"You couldn't have done this years ago?" George laughed — a hoarse chuckle that held nothing but relief.

George reached his hand up towards you, gesturing for you to join his as he sat cross-legged on the grass. He stared at the jewel on your finger, pressing a lingering kiss to your cheek when you leaned into his side.

"Reckon he'll be at the wedding?" George smiled, curling his arm around your waist as he admired the words of his twin.

His eyes watered as Fred's writing appeared once more;

Wouldn't miss it for the world, Georgie <3