back to you (d.m)

Draco returns to the castle to fulfill a broken promise and a heavy heart.

Warning: Sequel to 'My Knight In Shining Armour'!! mentions of illness (nothing descriptive)

Word Count: 980

A/N: Sorry this took so long!

• —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– •

Gray clouds filled the sky, the kingdom solemn with the news of the day.  Word had spread.  The princess was sick.  And Draco had yet to fulfill his promise.

Draco's steps echoed through the palace one after the other, carrying him up the stairs and past the watchful eyes of the castle.  His hands shook as they glided across the banister.  For if he had known there was such little time left, he would have come back for you sooner.

Pounding his knuckles against the door, he waited breathlessly for it to open.  His fists danced across the wood with a pattern so foreign that he hoped you would remember.  It had been your idea, after all, to create such a code.

"Three knocks, a pause and a tap once more," you giggled, kiss after kiss being pressed to your lips.

Draco only hummed, his back pressed up against your bedroom door where he hoped the shadows would hide his presence.

"Three knocks, one pause and a tap," he replied, breathless,  "I'll be back by morning, princess."

He felt as though it was yesterday, watching the memories play back in his mind.  But now his knocks remained unanswered.  It was silent, too silent.  And so he knocked again.

Slowly, he watched the golden knob turn until a pair of somber eyes stared back at him.

"Sir Malfoy," Madam Pomfrey bowed.  Her gray hair was pulled back in a bun, worry lines tracing her skin.  She now wore glasses as a pair of spectacles rested atop her nose.  And a permanent frown seemed to stretch across her lips.

Draco only nodded, eyes searching through the crack in the doorway.

Poppy didn't need to ask why the most respected knight in the kingdom had approached the princess' door.  She had heard the stories, having been there when you were falling apart.

Quietly, she ushered him in through the door.

Your room was just how he remembered it to be.  A lavender canopy float above your bedspread where you now lay — eyes closed and breathing slowly.  The window beside you remained open just a crack, the curtains drawn, blowing lightly with the breeze.  And the tree outside had yet to be chopped down.

Draco's lip quivered as he took the seat beside you.  He wasn't sure what to do at first, feeling unworthy after all the time that had passed. 

Pomfrey noticed this, carefully reaching for your hand.  Slowly, he slipped his hand into yours.

"I've missed you, princess," he whispered, lips falling to meet the skin of your forehead.  He wished for your eyes to open, having dreamt of the moment he would look you in the eyes once more.  But he knew that you needed your rest.

He wondered how you might react when you found him.  He had abandoned you, after all, even when he knew of the dangers he would face.  But day after day, he was sent out into the battlefield; fighting for you.

It was no secret to the kingdom that the princess was to be married in a month's time.  It was news that killed Draco when overseas, leaving him to wonder if he ever should return.  But being here now, finding you all alone with no prince by your side, Draco was angry with himself for leaving you.

Your grip suddenly tightened around him.

Draco watched with soft eyes as yours slowly fluttered open. Your left hand lifted to soothe your headache while your other remained in his.  Draco couldn't help but smile when your eyes met his.

"Draco?" You gasped, attempting to sit up against the headboard.

Draco was quick to lay you back down, his fingers brushing through the soft hair that framed your face.

"Hi, princess," he mumbled, feeling a tear drip down his cheek.

He smiled solemnly when your cold, gentle hand lifted to wipe it away.  He had missed your touch, not once forgetting just how cherished it was.  Feeling it now, almost a year since he'd seen you last — it ignited every bone in his body.

"You came back for me," you whispered, your hand wrapped around his.

Draco only smiled, his trembling lips connecting with the palm of your hand.  Tear after tear now fell.

Not once during his time on the battlefield had he cried. But for you, he'd cry a river.

"I told you he would, Poppy," you smiled, finding Madam Pomfrey by the bay window.  "I left that window open every day."

Draco's nose bumped against yours, his lips mere inches away.

"I can't believe I did this," Draco muttered, his eyes closed shut as he scolded himself.  "I just wanted you to be happy."

You shook your head, your quiet voice kissing his skin.

"I was happy when I was with you."

Slowly, Draco's lips met with yours, his tears dripping down your cheeks.  It was slow, effortlessly soft, as though he thought you'd slip away from his reach.  You felt the way his lips shook, his gentle hands caressing your sides.

"I'm here, love," Draco mumbled, cupping your face in his hands as he admired your dreamy eyes.  "I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. Not this time."

Carefully, Draco lifted the comforter of your bed, letting a weak smile tug on his lips when your hand reached for his.

He took his time to join you, gently coaxing your head to lay on his chest.  He didn't want you to close your eyes, hoping to hold your gaze just that little bit longer.  But he didn't protest when you drifted off.

Placing his lips to your neck, he let out a sigh at the faint feeling of your pulse.

"I love you, princess," he whispered, his lips brushing against yours.

"She loves you, too, Draco," Poppy smiled, moving to press a cold cloth to your forehead.  "She tells me every day."