star player (g.w)

Slytherin has a new Team Captain and Gryffindors are on the rise as they scope out the competition.  What will George do when he learns he has fallen for "the enemy?"

Warnings: none!

Word Count: 1.3 k

• —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– •

"Have you heard?" Oliver huffed, taking a seat at the Gryffindor table.  He had just returned from a Quidditch Hearing with Madame Hooch.  As usual, he made his objections quite clear to the rest of his team.

Angelina scoffed, clearly unamused by his theatrics.  "What is it now, Wood?"

"Slytherin.  They've got a new Captain," he fumed.  "It's a girl."

Gasps were heard as everyone huddled closer to their keeper.  They were unsure if they had heard him correctly.  Never before had Slytherin recruited a female member.

"The first girl on the team?  She's got to be good!" Katie gasped, peering towards the emerald students seated across the room.  She wasn't sure if she should be impressed or concerned.

"Oh, that's bollocks! She can't be any good," Fred scoffed, referring to Marcus Flint – their last captain and chaser – who had recently been kicked off the team. "They're only desperate."

"He's got a point, you know?  She is a Slytherin.  She's probably just as dirty a player as the rest of them," George added, rolling his eyes at the thought of the schemes you were surely cooking up.

"Actually, I hear she's going to give us a run for our money," Alicia warned, lowering her voice to a whisper.  "You didn't hear this from me, but her mother plays for the Falmouth Falcons.  She's been training all summer for an opportunity like this."

Just then, a student rose from the Slytherin table.

"That'd be her," Oliver groaned, glaring daggers your way.  The rest of the team followed suit as they studied their newest opponent.

Only, you weren't all they made you out to be.  Your smile was different than expected.  It wasn't malicious or condescending – had no connection to some cunning scheme or dirty play.  It caught George's attention immediately.

"Speak of the devil," Fred snickered, eyes following you like a predator watches its prey.  He clearly held some grudges.

"You really think you can outsmart Gryffindor?" Fred mused, beckoning you over with a sly grin.  You raised your eyebrow in a challenging manner but wore a smile that sent a different message.

"Well, is that not what a captain does?" you chuckled, completely unaware of the eyes that were on you.

George hadn't expected you to be so alluring.  Not once had he pictured anyone from Slytherin to be anything but insufferable.  You weren't arrogant or narcissistic like the others, but you knew your worth – and that was quite the admirable trait.  He wondered what it would be like to have you on his team.

"We play on Friday, you know?  You really think you're that good of a captain?" Fred dared, nudging George in his side. 

He immediately jolted upwards, cradling his left rib while cursing under his breath.

"Well, considering you just injured one of your star players three days before our game, I'd say I've got pretty good odds," you shrugged.

Fred Weasley was astonished – eyes narrowed and mouth agape.  He always had the final word.