Prologue

Emrie sat on the couch, staring out the window. She'd been sitting here for a few hours, not really knowing what to do. She'd already read all the books in the orphanage. There wasn't another she could start. Sure, Lunette was out in the city, looking for more books for Emrie to read, but it would take a while. She got up and went out to the back, spotting her friend out on the basketball court, playing with his friends.

"Hey, Alex!" The eight-year-old Emrie Lucas yelled to the boy on the court. He got distracted from his game and ran over to Emrie.

"Hey, what's up?" Nine-year-old Alex asked the redheaded girl.

"I'm just bored. Lunette's getting me some more books in the city right now so I don't really have anything to do until she gets back." Emrie said, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. You could see Alex with a slight blush on his face if you were paying attention, and no, it wasn't because he'd just been playing.

"Do you wanna play with us?" Alex asked, pointing his thumb over his shoulder to the other boys.

Emrie tilted her head and pursed her lips, pushing them to the side of her face. "Uhm... no. Not really. I don't like basketball. Do you wanna come play with me though?" She asked sincerely.

Alex turned to look at the boys, signaling to them that he was leaving. "Sure Emrie! Let's go!" The two took off inside to the living quarters.