7

The next few days were quiet. Lunette and Marinette were arranging for kids to go to other orphanages, and started sending them off. And then Thursday came.

A couple who'd already had some kids, who grew up and left, wanted some temporary company. They wanted to take Marsh.

Emrie was in tears when she even heard the news.

"Em..." Marsh brought her into a corner out of anybody's ear's reach.

"You'll be okay! I'll come back for you, okay?" Emrie didn't care. She pushed him away.

"You promised!" She yelled between sobs. "You promised you wouldn't leave!"

"Emrie I-." She took off running up the stairs, before he could finish what he was going to say. He frowned, his hands falling to sway by his hips. As he walked to the side door, the one Emrie had always wanted to go through, he glanced up to the balcony, seeing Emrie curled up into a ball on the second landing.

Marsh's heart shattered seeing her like that. He dropped his bag, darting up the staircase. He grabbed her head, forcing her to look him in the eye.

"Y-you made m-me believe y-your lie." She whispered, looking away from him.

"Emrie. Look into my eyes." Marsh demanded.

She resisted every urge to do so, so he turned her head.

"I LOVE you so much," He started, "But this isn't exactly my choice to make. If I were given a choice, I would've immediately chosen to stay. With YOU. Deep breaths, Emrie O'Harren."

Emrie blinked. "I-I'm sorry? O'Harren? B-but that's your..." She gasped.

Marsh smiled, pulling her face close to his, and quickly pecked her nose. He stood up, running back down to the door. Emrie raised herself up, resting her upper weight on the railing. As he went to walk out the door, Emrie yelled.

"Marsh! Marsh, wait!" She ran down the stairs as fast as she could, and darted towards him, getting ready to pounce on him. He quickly dropped his bag again, and caught her. He held her up as she wrapped her legs around his waist and buried her face into his neck.

"Come back for me?" She asked. "Yeah." He chuckled, setting her back down.