3

A few hours went by as Marsh and Emrie went around the orphanage, Emrie mainly just showing Marsh around. It was nearly dinnertime. It was Emrie's turn to set the table, and Marsh offered to help, so that's what they did. As they walked around the table, a question hit Emrie.

"Marsh?" She asked, setting down a plate.

"Hmm?" He replied, placing a cup down.

"If you don't mind me asking, why are you here?"

The boy got quiet for a moment, thinking of how to put it, then snapped back to reality. "They, uhm, died in a shipwreck a few days ago. What about you?" He asked, continuing to place cups beside the plates.

Emrie paused, after setting the last plate down, and thought.

"My parents didn't have the money to take care of all of my health problems."

Marsh frowned, "Sorry." He placed the last cup down and walked her way, pulling her into a tight hug. Her face heated up so fast, she got confused.

"It's fu-fine." Emrie stammered. "At least they put me with people who could. And, if I hadn't been here, I probably wouldn't have met you."

Marsh pulled away and gave her a small sympathetic smile. "Yeah. Yeah, I guess so."

Emrie started on napkins, and Marsh on the silverware. They did the rest of it in silence, each to themselves. Emrie thought about why she was so... strange around Marsh. They finished, and all the kids were called to the table.