8

Marsh was gone. Already. Everything was quiet as Emrie waited for everyone to go to sleep after dinner. After everyone was in their rooms, or so she thought, and so she went into Marsh's old room.

As she walked in, she ran her fingers along the bedframe. She bit her lip and scoffed.

"Emrie?" Emrie jumped, turning around.

"What are you doing Emrie?" Alex asked.

"Nothing."

He squinted, shrugged, and left. Emrie's jaw dropped slightly and her brows knitted in confusion. She turned back to the bed, sitting on it then lying down.

"Marsh..." Then it her. It's night, everyone's asleep. She launched herself off the bed and ran to the window. Concrete. Emrie ran back to her grabbing the sheets off her bed, and her mother's ring, which was shining like the ocean. Her room was only on the second floor, so she tied them together. She grabbed her hoodie and ran back to Marsh's room. Emrie tied the sheets to the bedpost and threw the rest out the window. They grey sheets fluttered in the wind, yet blended in well with the building. She looked around his room, possibly for the last time ever. She slipped the hoodie over her shoulders, and the ring on her finger.

Emrie ran back to the bedpost, making sure that nothing was even the least bit loose by tugging on it with all her might. Once she was assured that it was tight, Emrie rappelled down the stone wall.

She reached the bottom and leaped off, the cold cement against her feet. Emrie ran over to the nearest bush and tree, where she'd kept things hidden in case of an emergency.

Behind the bush was a backpack, filled with items such as water, shoes, money, a flashlight, batteries, and a First AID kit. Emrie pulled out the shoes and slipped them on.

As soon as they were on, she stood up and flung the bag onto her shoulder and brushed her fiery hair out of the strap. Now, what about the metal gate?