03

What makes a home?

What makes a home?

Is it the mother and father? The picket fences? The golden retriever? Maybe it's the house with big back garden? Love?

If all these things make up a home, then Greyson and Genevieve have none.

The walls of the house where they live are cracked and broken. The nursery rhymes your parents tell you when you're a child don't come true in this place.

There's no evil stepmom wanting to torture the poor and defenceless children because that would be stupid.

No one in this house is one for all.

You keep up or get left behind. Greyson understood this from the beginning, but Genevieve, however, struggled to be the kind and selfless girl she was she was often taken advantage of by the other children.

That's why Grey took it upon himself to become Genevieve's protector. Not to say that Genevieve wasn't strong, no she was the strongest you must be when you are physically and mentally abused by those who are supposed to care for you, but she was a forgiver, not a fighter.

She had hope that one-day things would get better, but Greyson knew it never would. So, he prepared for anything. Their old tattered bag that held all their belongings whereby the door of their bedroom ready if anything were to take place. Because he understood that people like him and Genevieve had to fight for themselves because nobody else would. nobody else was coming.

In some ways, Greyson and Eve were lucky they had each other. Not every child had a best friend to look out for them when things went bad.

*****

"Grey?"

"Grey?"

"Yes Eve," I say for the fifth time. I'm trying to get at least two hours sleep but Eve's brain won't stop turning which means Grey doesn't get to sleep but I don't mind.

"When are we going to our new home," she asks. When we first got to this orphanage Eve was upset because this was the second orphanage in a month.

I told Eve that when we get a bit older, I'll get us our own home that we don't have to share with other slimy children. Since then, we've talked about plans like what the house with look like. Eve wants a house with a blue front door. All the houses we've stayed at have black and white doors which look sad and unwelcoming so our home will have a blue door for people to feel welcome.

"I'm not sure Eve," I say sadly. Deep down I know it may never happen, but I can only wish that one day we'll have a big house. With a blue door.

A banging Noice is coming from the wall next to us. As this happens Eve flinches and becomes tense in my arms. We don't have blankets so the only warmth we have is from each other.

"Hey, hey it's okay Eve." I pause "What else will our house have?" I finish. The only thing that makes Eve smile now is talking about the future and I miss her smiles so I'm always asking about it.

"It will be big. Have lots of windows so it's never dark and scary." She pauses thinking of what else it will have. "And a big tree in the garden so we can build a tree house to hide in if any bad people come".

"The bad people will have to get through me before they ever get to you, Eve"

_____________________________________

Just a short chapter off past

(Edited)

words 661