- 4 -

_________

_________

From afar, Jungkook can hear the cracking undergrowth but is too focused on chopping wood to pay it any attention. When he hears a different kind of rustling, sounding like someone shifting near him, his hands grip the wood of the axe tighter and he places another piece of wood on the tree trunk.

"At last, I've found you." Kwangsun sighs andbraces himself on his knees, breathless from running. Confused, Jungkook chops the axe into the massive trunk. His arm muscles bulge and strands of hair fall into his face during that movement.

"What's wrong?" Jungkook asks, dabbing the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand. His sweat-covered torso glistens in the setting sunlight.

"The head alpha wants to talk to you." Kwangsun wheezes, exhausted from searching for the head alpha's son.

"Okay, I'll be on my way. Thanks for telling me," Jungkook nods and pats the other alpha on the shoulder as he passes. Pensively, he takes as much chopped wood on his shoulders as he can carry before leaving to find his father.

"I wonder what he wants to talk about," the alpha thinks to himself, gaze fixed on the horizon, which grows darker by the minute. He comes to a halt in front of his father's hut, takes another big breath, and exhales.

"It's only my father," Jungkook tries to reassure himself. Hesitantly, he knocks on the solid wooden door and immediately a gruff "come in" comes as a reply. The young alpha swallows dryly before opening the door and glancing at his father's side profile. He's looking out the window near the hut's entrance.

The atmosphere is tense, and everyone who enters this room knows that nothing good awaits them. It never has.

"What is it, father?" Jungkook hesitantly asks and quietly closes the door behind him, so that other's can't hear their conversation. The head alpha presses his lips together, not knowing what to expect from this conversation.

"How are things going with Seoyeon?" his father asks sternly, his gaze still directed outside, allowing Jungkook to observe the other for a moment.

"It's going quite well so far," Jungkook answers honestly, scratching the back of his head sheepishly. Slightly irritated at the question, he opens his mouth a few times but nothing comes out. He doesn't know what else to say.

"Are you... ready to take the position of being head alpha soon?"

The young alpha understands what his father is trying to imply with this question. Are you mentally and physically ready, willing to know his view of this answer but also... are you mentally and physically ready to mate? Although his pack follow the oldest pack rules, it's tradition to become a pack alpha after mating. It's stupid, yes, because Jungkook understands the uncertainty that lurks underneath the truth.

Namely, him preparing to be head alpha, being born and growing up with just one clear aim: being the head alpha and leading a pack in the future with a mate at his side. But is he ready to mate?