- 21 -

Jeongguk's head is spinning. Feeling lost and on the edge. That's how he's been feeling lately. He can't understand why Seoyeon was so hostile towards him and lied harshly. Jeongguk also can't shake off the feeling that there's more to the story than she is letting on.

Donghyung must feel the need for distraction and suggests they take a walk. Jeongguk reluctantly agrees, still feeling agitated and unsettled as the alpha hasn't answered his question. He is still agitated. What has just happened? Why was Seoyeon acting like that? Her eyes were dark and full of hate.

Donghyung sighs and breaks the silence. "She's not head omega built," he repeats bluntly what he said earlier, causing Jeongguk to almost stop in his tracks, anger and impatience bubbling in him. His voice is laced with disbelief. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know why you chose her to be the future head omega or what was arranged for her to be at your side," he continues, "I just think it was a poor choice after all. Besides, she's not the only omega in the pack, so why her?"

Jeongguk is taken aback by Donghyun's words, opening and closing his mouth. He doesn't understand why he's implying that Seoyeon is a bad choice for a head omega. "We were friends and close. I deemed her to be a good candidate," he says.

"That doesn't answer my question." Donghyun shakes his head. "Why did you choose her to be the future head omega if it wasn't because you had to."

Jeongguk growls but Donghyung doesn't let him get away with it. "Shouldn't a future head omega be honest and kind and give the pack the feeling of guiding them safely? Shouldn't a future head omega have humility and be someone to be trusted? Ideal would also be someone the head alpha supports and perhaps truly considers his mate. So why did you choose her? I'm sure you had more friends when growing up aside from her."

They reach the lake, where Jimin talked to him, having what felt like an honest talk with each other. "Let me tell you something about her," Donghyun clears his throat. "She's manipulative and ambitious. Seoyeon only cares about power and status. She doesn't love you. I'm sure."

Jeongguk's heart clenches and he wants to ram his claws into some bark. He feels his fingers closing into fists. Jeongguk doesn't want to believe that Donghyun is right, but he can't deny that there is truth in his words. Seoyeon has always been ambitious.

"Also," Donghyun continues, "please don't take offense, or maybe you should, but I'm determined and willing to save this pack from going under. You are giving off a lousy future alpha leader."

A growl leaves Jeongguk's throat as he turns to face him. "How dare you—"

"Let me speak my mind and then you are free to say what you want," Donghyun says calmly.

Jeongguk studies Donghyun, remaining quiet when he continues. "I want a head alpha to be fair and have empathy, not be someone who turns a blind eye to injustice simply because it suits them. And that's how you treat Jimin. What you did earlier was fair, but usually it isn't. I accidentally overheard a conversation one day, the way you spoke to and judged Jimin because he was talking to a rabbit was not it."

"Because he—"

"No, Jeongguk," Donghyun stops him from saying whatever mean excuse lies on the tip of his tongue, ready to spit out. "Deep down, you probably know that you're unfair to him. I don't know what happened between you but he's still a pack member. I remember seeing you as pups and having spent days with Jimin, who taught me more about herbs than I could have imagined. I can say he's still the sweetest wolf, probably even the sweetest pack member and if you put aside your anger, you would have noticed too."

Jeongguk feels a knot in his stomach. He's been unfair to Jimin, taking out his anger and frustration on Jimin, and blaming him for things that weren't his fault. Has he been blind to Seoyeon's true nature?