Chapter 9

Amanda couldn't make it to the game, but Maddy could. We planned to meet each other at the field Saturday morning. Amber was also set to meet her friends there.

I spent Friday reading Bloom into You's first volume on the bus. I considered reading it in the classroom but decided it would raise too many eyebrows. Amber was right about the story being unique. The main character, Yuu, couldn't feel romantic feelings towards Touko or towards the boy that confessed to her. I'd known people who weren't into romance, who were happy being single, but never those who didn't feel  it.

And Touko... well, she was the same way until she miraculously felt that way about Yuu. She was contradictory, to say the least. Maybe that's what Amber meant when she said that the characters were complicated.

Maybe it was just too early for me to have an opinion on her yet.

***

Uncle Erik was off on weekends, so he usually drove Neal to his games. Aunt Mary sat in the front with him. I was stuck in the middle of my two siblings; Neal sat on my right, Amber on my left. I texted Maddy that we were on our way.

"What kind of music do you all listen to?" asked Aunt Mary.

"Whatever's on the radio," Neal replied. "Mostly rap."

"Usually pop or rock for me," I replied.

"Or weeb music."

"You know-"

"How about you, Amber?"

Aunt Mary was clearly trying to stop my brother and I from arguing. Which, yeah, it was effective. But still... I couldn't remember the last time someone other than Uncle Erik had stopped a fight between us. It was different.

Amber shrugged. "Pretty much what they said. But Broadway, too."

"Oh! Have you heard the Hamilton soundtrack?"

"No, it's not really my thing."

"Yeah, Neal's the one who's into rap," I said.

"Yeah. Rap, not Broadway rap. It probably ruins everything."

I saw Aunt Mary grin through the rearview mirror. "Oh really?" She turned to Uncle Erik. "Do you mind?" she asked.

"Uh... no, go ahead."

He handed her the aux cord. Aunt Mary fiddled with it for about a minute. Then the opening notes played through the car speakers. 

Okay, not bad, I thought. Kind of catchy.

"How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore-"

Really? The first few measures, and we're already using two curse words? 

I exchanged looks with Uncle Erik, and I could tell he was thinking the same thing. It did get better, though. The rap set up the exposition and struggles of Hamilton well. I continued listening with slightly more interest.

After another song or two, we reached the field. As we parked, I looked at Amber.

"Think they're here yet?" I asked.

"Texting them now," she replied.

I decided to follow her league. I took out my phone and texted Maddy.

Here. U?

I turned to Amber, who pursed her lips together. "Sarah's here, and so's Peter."

She looked forward at Uncle Erik and Aunt Mary. "Can Reese and I go meet our friends?"