Chapter 19

We broke the news to Amber once we got in the car. If we told her during intermission, it would affect her performance as Velma. Even if we told her in the lobby after the show, it would affect her performance as a functional person.

Amber sat in silence at fist. She stared at the bottom of Uncle Erik's car seat. Eventually, her voice came out in a whisper.

"That explains why she didn't come backstage. We were supposed to meet during intermission and after..."

She trailed off and didn't say anything else. I clenched my dress, forming fists with both hands. Neal muttered a slew of curse words under his breath next to me.

Uncle Erik cleared his throat.

"You're going to be okay, kid," he said softly. "It's not forever."

Amber responded with more silence. I wanted to break it, but I doubted anything I said would make her feel better. I swallowed a lump in my throat. Then I placed my hand on her shoulder.

No one made a sound until we pulled up in our driveway. Amber let out a hard laugh.

"You know, she was the first person I told," she said. "Lily. About how I treated Reese and Neal after our parents died. And you know what she said? She said that if I truly regretted it, and I made an honest effort to make things right, then I wasn't a terrible person. But..."

She sniffled. "I have to be one. Why else would... I mean, I deserve it, right?"

"Honey," Aunt Mary said gently.

Amber sobbed and hid her face in her hands.

Neal jumped out of the car and slammed the door closed. I knew it wasn't anger for our sister; it was anger that she was suffering. I think Uncle Erik and Aunt Mary knew that too, because they didn't scold him. They simply stepped out of the car as well.

"Why don't you two get inside?" Uncle Erik suggested. "I can make coffee. Or we can order dessert, watch a movie?"

"We'll be there in a minute," I replied.

Uncle Erik nodded and followed Neal inside. Aunt Mary opened the back door, stuck her head inside, and kissed our cheeks.

"I love you both," she said. 

She headed inside. Then it was just us two.

Amber's crying became softer, so soft I could barely hear. She wiped furiously at her eyes.

"I'm sorry," she moaned. "You don't have to stay here if-"

"I want to," I said, cutting her off. "I won't leave until you're ready. Okay?"

Amber nodded, squeezing her eyes shut. "I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to deal with... you didn't sign up for this."

I sighed. "You're right, I didn't. But no one chooses the family they're born into. And... considering some of the other options, mine's actually not terrible."

I patted her back. "You're not terrible. Okay?"

Amber sniffled and wiped her eyes again. This time, she was able to calm herself by taking deep breaths. She looked at me. Her eyes were red and puffy. My heart split in two. She really didn't deserve this, not after all she did to make it right.

There had to be something I could do.

"Shall we?" Amber asked, opening the car door.

I nodded and followed her inside. Neal and Uncle Erik had made coffee for the two of us. We drank and watched a comedy until Amber fell asleep. Her head bobbed until it eventually landed on my shoulder.