Chapter 17

On second thought, maybe this wasn't the best idea.

I froze along with my friend, brother, and brother's friend. We had arrived at the edge of a sea of humans. Some poured into a line towards the snacks, others into a line for shoes and balls. Some were scattered into the lanes.

By some miracle, I spotted Amber waving to us. I headed forward only to notice Amanda grabbing my hand. Hers trembled in mine. I could tell she was having anxiety again, just like freshman year. Performing in crowds of people, or even just existing within them, made her freeze with fear.

I was similar. Like I once told Gary, I managed this anxiety around others by drawing mental lines between myself and them. I avoided getting too close to people, so it didn't matter if I was with one person or in a crowd. I wouldn't get close enough to get hurt.

Amanda was the exception. Maybe it was because we shared the same interests, or maybe it was because I sensed we were similar. I had helped her then, and I would help her now.

"Neal, you and Paige go ahead," I said. "I'm right behind you."

Neal led Paige to where Amber and the others were. I turned back to Amanda, whose breathing became heavy.

"Hey," I said gently. "Look at me. You got this. We got this, alright? Just keep breathing and don't let go of my hand. Okay?"

"Okay," she said.

I gripped her hand and led her through the crowd. I recognized a lot of people from my school, and others from Neal's. But I couldn't focus on that then. We just had to get to Amber, and eventually, we arrived as one big group. 

"You okay?" I asked.

Amanda nodded, a faint smile appearing on her lips.

"Yeah, I am now," she replied. 

"Okay, so... there's no way we're all playing at once," Amber said. "Reese, do you, Amanda, and Maddy want to go with Neal and his friends? And then the rest of us will go after?"

I nodded. "Sure! If it's okay with Neal."

"Fine with me," my brother said with a shrug. 

The first group went to get shoes and balls. When I returned to the lane, I volunteered to roll first. I raised my green ball in front of my face, took a deep breath, and rolled. The ball slowly traveled down the shiny wood and hit three pins to the right. 

"Yo Reese! Not bad for the first throw!"

I turned to see Gary to my left. He was grinning and holding up his yellow ball.

"Thanks," I said. "Your turn now?"

"Yep! Wish me luck."

He swung his arm back and launched the ball forward. It hit the lane and spun into the pins. All were knocked down except two pins on either side. 

"Hate it when that happens," Gary groaned.

"Hey, you got eight points!" I said. "That's nothing to complain about!"

"True. You go again."

I grabbed my ball and rolled it again. I knocked down four more. A seven appeared next to my name on the electronic scoreboard. Gary rolled and knocked down one of the pins. A nine appeared on his scoreboard.

Maddy followed me, then Amanda, then Neal and his friends. At some point, Peter, Sarah, and Maddy left to go get food. Sarah came back with two churros. I figured one was for Amber or Lily. To my pleasant surprise, she held one out to me.