Chapter 11

CHAPTER 11

Edward's POV

The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a persons conscience. - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

A persons conscience. That inner feeling or voice that acts as a guide to the right or wrong of someone's behavior. So why didn't my conscience tell me what I was doing was wrong? I shouldn't have let go and lost control, Emily was HARRY'S girlfriend. What happened WAS wrong, and majority rule had no play.

But I couldn't help but let my mind stray to the idea of being the brother who held Emily in his arms, who tasted her lips, who fell asleep beside her. That small, wild part of me thought it funny to hold that image just out if my reach, like dangling a carrot in front of a hungry horse and making it work harder for the ultimatum.

There was a knock at my door and I placed my book on my chest, looking over at the doorway. There stood a nervous looking Emily in nothing but a big, grey shirt that came to her mid-thigh. Her messy bed hair was draped over her shoulders in soft curls and her green eyes were wide and alert, searching my face for something.

"Hey...is it okay if I come in?" She asked in a small voice, twirling a curl of her hair around the length of her finger. I glanced over at the clock and frowned slightly when I saw that it read 5:00. "Um...yeah, sure." I marked my page and placed it beside me, pulling my legs up and crossing them underneath me.

She hesitantly walked over to me and perched on the corner of my mattress across from me, neatly crossing her legs identical to mine and clasping her hands in her lap. She was fiddling with her shirt and, unlike last night, she wouldn't make eye contact with me. "What's up?" I asked casually, slapping my hands on my track-covered knees.

Emily cleared her throat and looked up at me, green eyes connecting with my own. A soft chill traced itself over my spine, making the skin on my bare chest tingle uncomfortably. She opened her mouth to say something but shut it again, thinking twice about her words. Then with a huge sigh, she gathered enough courage to ask what was on her mind. "Ed, can we pretend what happened last night...didn't happen?"

Her words tore at my heart and I was suddenly lost for breath. I should have seen it coming, should have known where her loyalties would lie. Of course she wasn't even going to consider me, I was the mistake!

I swallowed down my pain and smiled broadly at the anxious girl in front of me. "That what happened?" I asked, winking. With each happy gesture I gave, the grip around my heart felt like it was getting tighter. But when she smiled back at me, the hold on it loosed just enough to let my heart flutter.

"Okay then. Look, I have to go, I have work. But I'll see you later, yeah?" She asked happily, slowly pulling herself off my bed. I nodded, still holding my smile, and watched as she left my room and softly closed the door. As soon as it was shut I pushed myself back into my pillow and pulled it around to my face, screaming manically into it.

When I was out of breath and my throat felt as if I had swallowed tons of sand, I lay facing the ceiling numbly, not being able to find the energy to move even a finger. I heard the front door faintly close, indicating that Emily had left. I sighed deeply and sat up, running my fingers through my shaggy curls in frustration.

Maybe I should just let my impossible fantasy go...

Emily's POV

I walked into the shop unwillingly, flipping the open sign and turning on the lights. It felt like it had been forever since I had been here and I had actually started to consider quitting, but being back made me realize that I needed the job to pay for my uni course. I had applied for a few uni's and gotten into two, leaving me with the difficult decision of choosing between the two. I had never been the best at decision making, so this left me extremely uncomfortable and nervous.