Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

(Play song at the *)

I lay on the cold concrete with my knees tucked into me, trying to block out the sound of the speeding cars on the nearby road. But I could hear footsteps coming closer from behind me, and I so didn't want to talk to anyone right now. I just wanted to be left alone. The shuffling feet came to a stop near my head, and I was cold under the looming figures shadow.

I felt two strong hands gently scoop me up and hold me into their chest, but I couldn't find that energy to open my eyes and see who it was. They carried me further away from the light of the cinema, the darkness seeping into my thin shirt and making me shiver. "Shh, it's okay." Harry's soft voice whispered as he cuddled me tighter into his chest as he continued to walk.

We came to a stop and Harry fumbled around before the beep of a car alarm intruded my deep thought space. Then I was being laid into the car and the seatbelt was fastened tightly around me before the door slammed shut and the car shook, panicking me in my semiconscious state. The drivers door then opened and the car dipped with Harrys' weight before shaking again after his door was closed.

The car rumbled to life beneath me and I frowned, the growl of the engine making my head ache. The car slowly moved backward and then took off, picking its way back to, what I assumed, Harry's apartment.

Although I would've rathered to stay in my semiconscious state, the silence was in the car was eating away at me, and I needed to say something. If I didn't, then I was sure that my brain was going to burst.

With all my strength, I forced my eyes open and turned to look at Harry for the first time since my break down. A deep frown adorned his forehead and he was chewing furiously at his bottom lip, a look of confusion visible in his features. "Harry." I croaked, watching as his hands grasped the wheel tighter and his eyes flashed subtly. But before I could recognize what emotions he was feeling, he relaxed and glanced over at me.

"Yeah?" he asked, his deep voice reverberating around the small space of the car. "Why are you upset?" I replied softly, head turned so I could take in his reaction. He ground his jaw and his frown deepened before he opened his mouth to reply. "You should get some res-" he began, but I cut him off shortly. "No Harry, tell me." I demanded, fully awake.

"We're home, I'll get you to bed." Harry stated simply, stopping the car and getting out before I could retort. In a huff, I got out of the car and hurried after Harry up to his apartment, following him inside the dark house.

As soon as Harry closed the door, I pushed him up against it so that he couldn't escape. "Harry, TELL me! What is wrong?" I begged into his face, staring into his angry and confused green eyes. "There's NOTHING wrong!" He exclaimed, shoving me gently so that he wasn't trapped against the door.

"Why aren't you being honest with me?" I asked, my voice hurt as I grasped at my arm nervously. Harry began to slowly stalk towards me, features beginning to change into a frightening glare. "Why aren't YOU being honest with ME? I KNOW something's up! I've known since this morning when you and Ed were having a crazy in-depth conversation about my 'birthday party'." He held up his hands and signed air quotations to emphasize his sarcasm.

I began to back away from his towering figure, but he only kept advancing. "So why don't you be honest with me Em? Because right now I'm thinking of the WORST possible outcomes to explain this shit." He growled, but his eyes were pleading almost, pent with worry and hurt.

"H-Harry I-I can't. I don't know what to s-say. I swear I'm being hone-" "STOP LYING TO ME!" Harry screamed as my back hit the wall. My heart was beating rapidly in my chest and my breath was coming out in short gasps as I stared up at Harry, tears pricking my eyes.

His face changed to one of worry as he backed away from me. "Shit. I'm sorry Em. I-I don't mean to scare you. I just...it's okay. I believe you." He rushed, backing away with his hands raised. Watching him like that only made my heart hurt, and I had FINALLY had enough. "Harry, no. No, you shouldn't believe me." I spoke, pushing off the wall and making my way over to him. "No, I understand. It's okay." He reassured me, offering me a smile.

"NO HARRY! IT'S NOT!" I screamed, tears threatening to spill. "Calm down, it's alri-" Harry began but I had had enough. "FUCK HARRY. I'M TRYING TO TELL YOU THAT I KISSED EDWARD!" I sobbed, feeling defeated. Harry's face dropped, his eyes wide and mouth hanging open.

The silence was deafening, I wouldn't be surprised if Harry could hear my heart smashing against my ribs from where he stood a meter away. "You...wha...when?" He asked in a stiff voice, frown as tight as his jaw. "Uh...when he took me on the first uni tour..." I answered softly, gazing down at the ground and crossing my arms over my chest, suddenly very cold.

"And when were you going to tell me?" He asked, voice sounding angrier and louder, piercing my mind. "I-I don't know." I stuttered, watching as his feet stepped closer to me. "Were you going to tell me at all?" He questioned, voice accusing. I looked up and almost cried from the anger and pain I could see in his face, anger and pain that I had caused. "Harry, I don't kno-" I began, but Harry's large hands pushing me back against the wall startled the breath out of me.

"Look at me, Emily, look me in the eyes." He whispered in a low tone, inches from my face. I couldn't muster up the courage to look into his angry eyes, it would just feel as if my heart was being torn out. "LOOK AT ME!" He screamed, fist punching the wall beside my head. I started to shake as I slowly forced my gaze up to look at him.

"Did you enjoy it?" He asked softly, but his eyes were hard. "Was pretty Edward a great kisser? Was it it best kiss you'd ever had?" He mocked with a sadistic smile. I stared at him, dumbfounded, unsure as to what to say. "DID YOU ENJOY IT?! TELL ME!" He screamed, making me shake further. I remained silent, hands pressed firmly against the wall behind me, trying to shrink away from his angry face.

I quivered, tears brimming and starting to fall. I was afraid. Afraid Harry would do something that we both would regret. Do something that I hoped he was too nice to do. He slowly raised his hand and I winced, bracing myself for impact. But, instead, I felt his thumb begin to stroke my bottom lip softly, just as one would stroke a roses' petals.

"I can't imagine another mans' lips on yours. Especially not my brothers. Of all people. You're mine. I've shared enough with him, always in his shadow. He's so perfect in mums' eyes. Graduating from high school, going for a degree, making himself a stable life. Me? I'm temporary. Dumb. A short-time kind of thing." Harry confessed quietly, the complete opposite from what he had been like just moments before.

He laughed then, eyes fixated on his thumb moving over my lip. "And so I find myself this perfect girl. One that doesn't treat me differently. One that I actually have DEEP feelings for. One I actually LOVE. And then..." He ripped his hand away from my mouth as if he had been burnt, eyes turning hard. "And then he had to take that from me too."

His frantic green eyes finally flicked up to meet mine, a look of a plea beneath his gaze. "Emily. I do love you. I know I do. I can't stand to be without you. I can't stand you with anyone else but me. I NEED you to be mine. But I need to know...do you have feelings for him?" Harry asked calmly, confessing his deepest feelings for me, the rawness hitting me like a brick.

And at that moment, I was done with lying. I was done with trying to hide the truth from this boy and breaking his heart little by little, chipping away at his being. So I did nothing else but shallowly nod my head, looking down at our bodies and how dwarfed I was next to Harry's bulky frame. I watched as his feet began to retreat slowly before turning away and walking off down the hall.