Arrival of the New Romans

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

May 29, 2007

Jason Grace hadn't really encountered anything, or done anything, too extravagant or out of the ordinary, aside from summoning lightning and the occasional high-powered wind gust, but today definitely took the top spot on his list of 'Cool Things.'

It started out as an average day: wake up, work out, eat breakfast, join his cohort (and his friends Hazel and Frank, daughter of Pluto (his cousin (Yay!)) and son of Mars) for military drills and exercises, then lunch, then more drills for the rest of the day, then dinner, then war games…which ended with the Fifth Cohort's 'X' number of defeats…and a visit by Lords Jupiter and Neptune, and Lady Juno.

Which all culminated in the mother of all Senate meetings.

Usually, people with Jason's rank and below weren't allowed in meetings, even with his parentage, but divine magic had allowed for a bigger venue and the aforementioned gods felt that everyone needed to be present for this event. That included the people of New Rome, not just the Legion.

Personally, Jason was excited to finally meet his father, but to put it mildly…he was blown off. Now, the young teenager understood that his father was a god, that favoritism wasn't allowed, that the Ancient Laws prevented direct interference in mortal affairs, and that Rome was built on strength and showing a weakness like parental love was basically taboo, but still. Was it so terrible to want to be recognized by his father? Especially when his mother and big sister were dead?

But enough exposition. Time for talking.

Lord Neptune spoke first, and boy was he straight to the point. "I have sired a son in Tokyo, Japan. His name is Perseus Jackson; however, he is more well-known by his alias: 'Kraken.' Currently, he has fallen down a dark path that will only end in misery and destruction."

Now Lady Juno picked up. "That is where all of you come in, mighty Romans. The gods have seen fit to rescue this child, and bring him here…to learn the arts of discipline, self-control, respect, and comradery."

Lord Jupiter finished off, looking right at his son. "My son, Jason Grace, will lead this retrieval mission, and that is non-negotiable. He will be allowed unlimited resources on this mission, due to the nature of its severity, and my own will. However, a word of warning to those wishing to volunteer.

"In Tokyo, you will find monsters more powerful than anything the Legion has ever faced before. These creatures have skin hard as diamond, strength enough rip apart men like paper, speed enough to outrun the fastest of vehicles, and senses sharp enough to rival any of Diana's maidens. These creatures take the guise of people young and old, male and female, thin and wide, short and tall, but do not be fooled. They will kill you, and eat you, if given the opportunity."

"When those chosen arrive in Tokyo," Lord Neptune continued, "seek out the establishment known as 'Anteiku.' There, you will ask to speak to a man by the name of Yoshimura. Tell this man that Percy's father has sent you, and tell him your intentions. Swear this by the River Styx, and all will be well."

The gods had issued their message, and now was the time for the closing statements. Juno was the first, looking directly at Jason.

"Do well, my champion." She faded out of existence.

Then Neptune focused on the boy, also fading away after his words. "Bring my son to safety, Nephew."

And Jupiter finished with perhaps the most impactful of words. "You have made me proud, my son."

The God of the Sky disappeared in flash of lightning, and a clap of thunder. The ultra-enlarged Senate venue was silent for all of ten seconds, before Jason broke the ice with a question. "So, uh…who want to go with me to Japan?"