Fractured Ghoul

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The human mind is a complex and detailed machine that mankind has struggled for centuries to understand. Many have created theories, many have derived philosophies, and many have tried to make complete sense of the mind, and yet none of them have truly grasped the truth.

Those that study the minds of Ghouls have met with similar results.

So then, what did that mean for a creature such as Percy?

He was not human, at all, being created from the womb of a Ghoul and the loins of a god. How did one understand his mind, especially after it had just been shattered? Beyond even that, how did one help somebody with a broken mind? Therapy? Counseling? Isolation? Long talks of philosophy and the human spirit?

Percy didn't have a human spirit.

Back on topic though, just what did you do? Help them, leave them be? Then what happens? If the pieces are left alone, will they just float aimlessly about in the subconscious void, or will they eventually put themselves back together?

Perhaps, but if the analogy is putting the pieces back together, then what happens if the pieces are reconstructed...wrong? Put together with gaps and holes, missing pieces, pieces from other places, pieces that are mix-and-matched, pieces that fit wrong...what do you do when the pieces form completely new shapes?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anteiku

May, 2007

After the Ghouls brought Percy back home

The battle against the Kraken's kakuja had taken a severe toll on the Ghouls of the 20th ward. After returning to their coffee shop, none of them had the strength left to carry a conversation, especially one with the magnitude of the impending talks, so they all went to their respective rooms and crashed. Even Uta, Yomo, and Nishio all found a soft surface to put their head upon. The Romans were all either brain dead or numb as they returned to their quarters.

Unsurprisingly, Touka retained her death grip on her naked brother, and held him tighter than she ever had before on that night.

And on this night, the machinations of Kronos were revealed. None of the Romans were privy to this information, only the Ghouls. They saw Percy's confrontation with Luke, how the teens eyes glowed a sickly gold, and how Percy crushed Luke into a red paste. They heard an ethereal roar of outrage, before the scene shifted, now to Sally. Ill, she was, and now the cause was clear.

Golden eyes.

As she left for what would be her final battle, the Ghouls saw her eyes flash that sickly gold. As Sally fought against Jason, Amon, and Mado, they saw her eyes turn that sickly gold. The scene shifted to the time when Touka confronted Percy, they heard the words exchanged, they saw the fracturing of Percy's unstable psyche, a psyche that had never healed, and they saw what happened after Percy dove out the window.

Touka's eyes turned that sickly gold, and the voice that exited her mouth was not her own.

"Revenge is mine."

Given the Ghouls of Anteiku's prior knowledge on Percy's origins, Greek mythology, and the boy's own recounting of his quest, it was correctly concluded that the purveyor of the golden eyes and the voice was Kronos. The truth of Percy's downfall became clear. Still, none of that meant shit for the boy himself.

He hadn't even seen the dream; his mind was occupied with other things.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chaotic.

Turbulent.

Raging.

Unstable.

All adjectives that failed to grasp the enormity of the devastation and events that took place within Percy's subconscious mind as it tried and failed to figure itself out again. In this unconscious space, Percy sat on his knees, doubled over, tightly hugging himself. Blood served as his clothing. He knelled a piece of eyes that was suspended in the air.