The 11th Ward Pt 3

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

11th ward mall

9:10 P.M.

The CCG busses were rolling in, forming a square upon which the soldiers and policemen stood and hid behind, using massive shields for protection against ranged weapons. Already, hundreds of men and women had taken formation on the front, and a contingent of Ghouls were visible from the side of the mall, the windows having been shattered so the carnivores could use their guns.

The night was warm, the wind was nonexistent, the moon hung high in the dark blue sky, and the tension was so high that there was almost a visible wave in the air. Although, not everyone present on the soon-to-be-battlefield was a member of the CCG or Aogiri Tree. Off to the side, hidden behind bushes and out-of-the-way pillars, were the Ghouls of Anteiku.

Yoshimura, Yomo, Kaya, Enji, Uta, Ryouko, Nishio, Touka, Kaneki, and Hinami were all wearing the maroon cloaks of an Aogiri member, cloaks liberated in a not-so-clean-way. Along for the ride was Jason, because it as his mission, Hazel, for extra elemental power, and Vanessa, for chaperone and praetor duties. They, too, were wearing cloaks, and not one of them seemed to be happy about wearing a dead person's outfit. The rest of the Romans were hiding in the surrounding buildings, all of them being snuck in.

"You could hear a pin drop out there," Uta observed neutrally.

The silence of the night was shattered when a flare popped high above, turning the world white. Immediately, gun fire rang loud and true as no less than 200 full-auto weapons began to discharge hot lead. The flare light faded, but the muzzle flashes from the guns were still easily visible.

CCG and policemen began dropping like flies since the Ghouls were able to combine their kagunes for defense with the night-vision scopes of their guns for offence.

In the command bus, surrounded on all sides by monitors and screens, Marude was flabbergasted. "How the hell are they picking us off…?"

"Enemy forces are employing kagunes and scopes, sir," the man behind Marude said.

The Special Investigator's face contorted into one of annoyed vexation. "So the Ghouls fancy themselves soldiers, do they?" Marude promptly kicked the door of the bus wide open, "Come on, men! Don't let these bastards show us up!" Marude stormed forward, "Gimme that gun!" and took a stance at the edge of the defensive line, stock propped against his shoulder, sights narrowed.

He squeezed the trigger a few times, and two Ghouls went down in sprays and brains and blood.

"Did you see that!?" Marude thundered. "That's how you take out a goddamned sniper's nest, you sackless clods—hop to hit!" He shoved the gun into the hands of one soldier, and stormed back to the bus.

One man had some commentary, "What a badass…"

On his way back to the bus, Marude heard the familiar sound a motorcycle being revved up. More importantly, his motorcycle. Looking over to the sound, Marude saw several men surrounding someone on a bike. "What's going on?"

"Your bike, it was brought over form headquarters!" said the man in the lab coat.

Marude paled when he saw who was on it, and he rushed forward. "Hold it, Stitches! What do you think you're doing with my bike!?"

"Ah, don't worry, 'kay!" Juuzou gunned the engine, shooting forward with a warble of surprise.

"HEY!" Marude screamed indignantly. Juuzou just cackled madly as…'he' went rolling forward. Meanwhile, Marude was having a complete mental breakdown. "What are you doing…nonononono…not that way-change direction you psychotic little ape-don't turn my baby to swiss cheese-why are you doing this to me!?" the man wailed, tears and snot streaming down his face.