thirty three

Third Person

Valentine's day is usually a day where you celebrate and honor your most loved one but for Zara and Adonis, I wouldn't say the same.

Zara thought she would wake up and be the happiest person on earth but this was definitely the most tragic day in her book. Even her mother's death didn't compare to the heartbreak she would experience that night.

So I'll say this now, fuck Adonis Martinez.

Adonis POV

Today is valentine's day and I have some things planned for Zara and me. We woke up a few hours ago and had breakfast. Mama also took Eli after hinting that would be "too busy getting it in." She has no idea.

Zara has been in the bathroom for a while now and I'm not sure what she's doing. It's 5 pm and we have dinner at 7, so we should be getting ready. She got her hair done 2 days ago and she looks out of this world. She makes me feel so lucky, I never want to lose this feeling.

4 hours

I opened up my phone to make sure everything was going correctly. This is the last day I'll have to lead the mafia. Soon it'll be Mateo's problem, not mine.

The shipments were according to date and all the properties were being guarded. My phone dinged as messages from Ashley and Lucy swarmed my phone. Them constantly reminding me of our deal, them constantly threatening Zara's life, them constantly threatening Eli's life. I have to remember I'm doing it for them. I only ever do anything for them.

I heard a small bang come from the bathroom and my eyes shot up and I rushed over to the bathroom. "Belleza, are you okay in there?"

I didn't hear anything so I began to try and open the door. And to my luck, it's locked. "Fuck, Belleza open the door."

"I'm- I'm fine Adonis. Just hold on." She answered quietly. I could hear her silently picking things up and moments later opening the door. "I was fixing my lace." She gave me a smile and placed a hand on my chest before moving forward and closing the door behind her.

The smile she gave was fake, she must think I'm a fool to not know when her smiles are legit. Zara was never the best at expressing her emotions and I don't want to push her to talk to me. The other night she had opened up to me about her mental health issues and how she was diagnosed with selective mutism when she was younger. That she became a daycare teacher because it was easier for her to talk to kids. She explained to me how most kids are too young to understand and truly judge someone.

She talked to me about her family. How her dad would hit her if she didn't talk and her mom would always defend her. She told me how she thinks her father was always abusive so when her mother passed it made him more open to abusing her and her sister.

She's really the strongest person I know, which makes what I have to do even worse.

"Ok, well get ready, we're going out to eat." Her fake smile turned into a real one, her dimples growing deeper. "There's the smile I remember."