YOU'RE NEW

School had never been something Amber enjoyed, not before the events of Will's disappearance, not after. She hated everything about it, from the learning, to the teaching, to the pupils. It wasn't her crowd.

The fact she cut everyone out after last year happened didn't help either - she was a complete loner. She wasn't bullied for it, no one daring to anger her, but she did get a lot of looks, often.

"Be good, kid," Hopper said to her as she climbed out of his car. She didn't reply to him, just shaking her head as she walked quickly into the school, headphones in. Hopper was late to pick her up, so she was also late to class. It wasn't useful that she was in Mr Clarke's class, the same man she cursed out last year.

"Amber Wheeler, nice of you to show up," He said as she entered the classroom. She ignored him as she walked past, glancing at her brother and his friends for a moment - they weren't focused on her, they were all looking at a redhead at the back. A redhead who was in her usual seat.

She took the seat in front of her, leaning back against the seat with annoyance.

She fucking hated science.

"Amber," Mr Clarke spoke up again, the classroom completely silent, "Could you please take your headphones off and participate in the lesson?"

Amber took the headphones off slowly, seeing Mike roll his eyes at her in her peripheral vision.

She opened up her book quickly, beginning to write down things. Nothing to do with the lesson, of course. Every day she would write a letter to Eleven, as if the girl would ever read them. Sometimes the letters were short, sometimes they were longer. Sometimes the writing was angry, sometimes sad, sometimes annoyed... She found peace in writing them.

She didn't see it, but Mr Clarke had sent a small smile her way. He didn't know what, but knew something had happened in the last year - the girl, while still moody, was a lot quieter these days, she never really bothered with putting up a fight.

Amber sighed to herself as she drew a small sad face on the top of the letter.

It was going to be a long day.

-

The lesson was done, and the kids were free. Amber had stayed behind a little, Mr Clarke asking why she was late. Her response was just the word 'Hopper.' It was common knowledge that the chief dropped her off every day, so he let it slide.

She walked to her locker, opening it to throw her bag inside - something she didn't have time for that morning, and put her notebook away.

"Hi," A voice spoke up from behind her. She didn't respond, guessing it wasn't aimed at her, and shut her locker, "I'm Max."

Amber turned then, making eye contact with the redhead who had stolen her seat earlier. She looked her up and down quickly. She was tan - clearly not from Indiana.

"Amber," Amber replied quickly.

"Nice to meet you," Max continued on, nodding her head slightly as amber leaned against her now closed locker.

"You're new," Amber said to her simply, "You took my seat in Clarke's class."

"Oh, my bad," Max said a little awkwardly, "I came over because I heard you listening to Fleetwood Mac in class."

"Okay..." Amber mumbled, still confused.

"They're one of my favourite bands," Max continued.

"Favourite song?" Amber asked.

"Songbird, you?" Max then responded.

"Gold dust woman," Amber answered with a small nod.

"Cool," Max smiled, nodding her head too.

"Where are you from?" Amber then asked - she was enjoying the conversation - it was nice to talk to someone who didn't know her, to someone who actually cared to listen for more than ten seconds.

"California," Max responded.

"Oh god, why would you move here?" Amber asked, hurt for her.

"My step-dad had work," Max said a little sadly, "Believe me, this place was not my choice."

"You telling me you don't love the smell of cow shit in the morning?" Amber asked, faking confusion. Her question made Max laugh, which in turn let her crack a smile.

"Not really," Max giggled, "I've got class, but I'll see you around?"

"Sure," Amber nodded, watching her walk off and sending her a small wave. She then turned to walk in the other direction, seeing her brother and his friends staring at her.

"What?" She snapped as she walked past. She was very pissed off at them, still after all this time.

"You were talking to Max," Dustin spoke up, following after her, forcing everyone else to do the same.

"And?" Amber snapped again.

"What did you talk about?" Lucas then asked.

"Why the fuck do you care?" Amber asked.

"They're just interested, stop being an ass," Mike then spoke up, making Amber send him a glare.

"Me being an ass?" She let out a dry chuckle, "funny."

"Did she mention an arcade or anything? what was she talking to you about?" Dustin asked her, moving t stand in front of her to stop her from storming off.

"Why should I tell any of you anything?" She asked angrily, eyebrows furrowed as she looked over the group, "You guys made it very clear you wanted nothing to do with me. You can't just be friendly the second you need something."

The boys stayed silent.

"Assholes," She practically growled at them, walking off quickly.

Whenever anything started to go well they always had to ruin it.

To Eleven,

My brother is still an ass.

Miss you.

Amber.