STAY

Chapter Fourteen: Stay

Mike, Dustin, Lucas, Amber and El were all sat on the floor as Mike explained what they knew about Will and Barbara to Joyce, Johnathan, Hopper and Nancy; who were on couches

"Okay, so, in this example, we're the acrobat. Will and Barbara, and that monster, they're this flea. And this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding. Mr. Clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space." Mike went on and on as the adults and teens tried to follow along. Amber, who had heard this all before, even had a hard time listening to him.

"A gate," Dustin reiterated, seeing the confusion on everybody's faces. Minus the party of course.

"That we tracked to Hawkins Lab," Lucas continued for him.

"With our compasses," Dustin added. When seeing no one was following as to why that was, he reiterated, "the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the directions of a compass needle," Dustin explains to them in simpler terms, hoping they understand it.

"Is this gate underground?" Hopper asked the boys.

"Yes," Eleven answered quietly, shocking everyone in the room. Amber stared at the girl, who had her eyes set on the floor, unmoving. She was traumatised, and it hurt to see her like that.

"Near a large water tank?" Hopper continued to question.

"Yes," Eleven continues.

"How do you know all that?" Dustin stammers, looking between eleven and hopper with confusion.

"He's seen it," Mike realises, Amber looked at Hopper as he stared at Eleven, making the girl uncomfortable.

"Stop staring at her, dipshit," Amber snaps at Hopper, who doesn't falter his gaze as Nancy yells at Amber for being rude. Amber rolls her eyes as she gets out of her seat and blocks Hoppers view of El, "I said stop."

"Is there any way that you could that you could reach Will?" Joyce asked, breaking the tension as Amber and Hopper's attention went to her, Amber not moving, "That you could talk to him in this..."

"The Upside Down." Amber whispers, Joyce nodding softly at the girl.

"And my friend Barbara?" Nancy asks, "Can you find her, too?"

"I can try." El nods as Amber stares at the girl, the shaved haired girl catching her gaze and sending a small smile.

"She did it before in the AV room!" Mike says, suddenly getting up to go and grab his supercomm, "she reached through to him."

"We had reports that that set on fire," Hopper says, staring at the girl, "you do that?"

"sorry," She mumbles, getting up and following mike through to the kitchen area, not liking Hopper's glare. Amber glared at Hopper after El had left the room.

"Stop staring at her," she snaps at Hopper when everyone's walked through.

"Don't tell me what to do, kid," Hopper rolls his eyes, "I'm the chief of police, I can do what I want."

"What, make little girls uncomfortable? Sounds very protective. So glad our police department is so strong!" Amber says sarcastically as Hopper rolls his eyes, walking after the group in the kitchen as Amber glared at him.

When Amber finally walked through, the group was stood, watching as El, who was sat in front of Mike's supercomm, as she tried to contact Will.

The group started to hear static noises as El tried to find will on the frequencies, the light above them flickered several times as El's eyebrows furrowed, trying to focus.

The group all stared intently at the girl when her eyes opened - they all looked at her expectantly as her lip began to quiver.

"I'm... I'm sorry," El whispered, tears gathering in her eyes.

"What?" Joyce stammered. "What's wrong? What happened?"

El looked down at her lap as tears began to gather in her eyes, feeling like she'd completely failed the group, "I can't find t-them."

Joyce turned away from the group as a hand came to her mouth, El looked up to the group as her eyes caught Amber's, Amber smiled sadly at her. She felt pity.

El got out of her seat and walked past them all, walking out of the room and to the bathroom that she'd used when first entering the house.

The group left in the kitchen all let out sighs.

"Anyone got any other ideas?" Hopper asked the group as Amber's eyebrows furrow. She starts to walk out of the room when hopper talks again, "what are you doing, kid?"

"Checking on El." Amber snaps at him, "what does it look like?"

With that she walked out of the room and over to the bathroom, where the door was closed. She knocked lightly, El on the other side snuffed as her he'd snapped towards the door.

"El?" She heard Amber's voice. El let out a small sob at her voice, feeling like she'd completely let Amber down, "Ellie can you please open the door?"

El stood up and walked towards the door, hesitating before turning the lock and walking back over to the closed toilet seat and sitting down.

Amber opened the door and closed it behind her, letting out a sigh as she looked at the girl. She was beating herself up about it and that wasn't gonna help her.

Amber went over and kneeled in front of her, looking as she fiddled with the hem of her sleeve.

"I'm sorry," El whispered, not being able to look her in the eye as a tear fell from her eye to her shirt. Amber wanted to cry just looking at her upset, but knew she needed to comfort her.

"No, don't cry, don't cry," Amber says, taking her hands in hers, "you're drained. You've been a hero today, Ellie. You can't start doubting yourself now, you just need a bit of time to recover, and we can try again. Okay?"

El nods softly, as Amber pulls the girl in for a hug. El holds her tightly as Amber closes her eyes, taking in the feeling. Her heart fluttered slightly, a feeling she'd never felt before, as she held el a little tighter.

Eventually, the two parted, and Amber pulled her up, "lets wash away the tears, and figure out how to solve this mess, yeah?" She asked, making El nod as she walked over to the faucet.

"I'm gonna go back out, okay? Take as long as you need to calm yourself." Amber says to her with a smile.

"Stay?" El asks quietly, making Amber's eyebrows furrow.

"What?" Amber asks her, "you want me to.. stay?"

"Yeah," El nods, avoiding eye contact, "just for a minute."

"Okay," Amber smiled, "I'll stay."