Good To Be Back

Amelia's POV- August 2021

After Gavin's rehab assignment he was back with the Dodgers. He was kept out of the lineup for about four straight games and we were both expecting him to get sent down to the minors since he did not join the Dodgers during the three-game series in San Diego.

It happened during the first week back to in-class teaching that I got the text from him.

Got optioned to OKC.
Heading home to pack.
My flight leaves at 1 PM

I quickly dialed him because it was just past 11:30 AM and he had sent me this over an hour ago. He answered after the second ring,

"I'm in the employee parking, next to your car", and then he hung up on me.

I scrambled to grab my mask and rushed out down the hallway and down the three flights of stairs.

"Miss Vogel! Just the person I need to talk with"

I looked at Principal Ziegler and offered her a small smile even though she could not see it.

"I am so sorry, but I have someone waiting for me in the lot"

She nodded,

"Oh, of course. You have a free period after, correct?"

"Yes"

"Come to my office when you are free"

I nodded before waving and saying,

"Hello", to the security guard by the exit.

Once I was outside, I jogged to the parking lot and began looking for Gavin's car. I spotted Tony's car parked right next to my car. As I made my way over to the car the passenger door opened and Gavin stepped out. I sighed and rushed over to him. He quickly pulled me up into a tight hug and pressed his nose against my neck. I pressed a kiss to his temple as he gripped onto me.

"Love, you're squeezing me a little too hard" I informed him.

My statement rang through deaf ears because he further tightened his hold.

"You'll be back in no time", I reasoned.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and pressed my nose against his cheek before taking his face with my hands so that I could see his face. I gently ran my thumbs on the high of his cheekbones as he stared at me with big blue glossy eyes.

"It's okay", I told him.

He just stared at me with wide eyes as he continued to shake his head.

"I can't do this without you"

"We've done long distance before, love", I reminded him.

His eyes darted everywhere but at me.

"We've never talked about it because when you bring it up I change the subject, but what if I do get traded?"

I shook my head at him as he looked at me dead in the eyes and choked out.

"I can't lose you"

"And you won't" I assured him.

"Really?"

I can't help but smile at his facial expression. He may have facial hair and he may be over six feet, but Gavin is a softy at heart. The man wears his heart on his sleeve and that is what I adore about him.

"Of course, love. Wherever you go, I will follow. It will take some time, but I'll make it to you" I stated.

He nodded as he took in my statement.