You Still Haven't Called?

Amelia's POV- September 2019

I adjusted the duffle bag on my shoulder as I stepped foot into the emergency room.

"Hi, I'm here for Alexander Soto," I told the nurse when she gestured for me to step forward.

She nodded and grabbed a visitor's pass.

"He's in room 17"

She handed me the visitor's pass.

"Just wait by the door"

I glanced over in the direction she gestured at to see a security guard standing by a door.

"AMELIA"

"Can I get another pass?" I asked her.

She nodded and by the time she handed me the pass, Jon was by my side.

"This way," I told him grabbing him by the arm and handing him his pass.

He lowered the volume on his walkie talkie as he let me maneuver him.

"Which room?"

"17" I answered.

The security eyed Jon's uniform and glanced to see if there were any weapons on his belt before nodding and unlocking the door.

"This way"

We found dad standing outside the room. He frowned when he saw Jon next to me,

"We didn't call you"

Jon scoffed,

"I heard it through the scanner"

Dad shook his head,

"What exactly happened?" I questioned.

Dad rubbed his temple before looking at us,

"There was a woman trapped in her apartment on the 18th floor. The ladder couldn't reach her, so we got to her through the roof"

Jon hummed,

"He's been wanting to do a rope rescue"

Of course, he has.

"The rope caught fire when they were more than halfway down, and as fast as we cleared the area and started to inflate the jump cushion, the rope snapped before the cushion was fully inflated"

Meaning his back took most of the hit.

"He's got to be okay if they're letting him go home"

Dad hummed.

"I would have liked for him to stay the night just for observation, but he insisted on being pumped with drugs and going home. He also insisted we not call you, which is why I called Amelia and asked her to come pick him up"

Jon nodded before taking a deep breath.

"I just need to see him, once I know he's okay I'll head back to work"

Jon stepped into the room whereas I stayed by the doorway to give them some privacy.

"Mi amor, you're not supposed to be here!"

Dad gave me a squeeze as we watched Alex look lovingly at Jon.

"Of course I'm here, I needed to see that you were okay"

Alex hummed as Jon lowered the safety rail.

"You scared me"

Dad put his arm over my shoulder and gave me a gentle squeeze as we watched Jon press his forehead against Alex's.