Chapter 1 (Introduction)

Hey, I'm Mia Martinez-(pronounced (Mee-uh)
I'm 12 years old living in Los Angeles, California. I'm fixing to start the 7th grade at Pacific Coast Academy, it's a private school, mostly for the rich, I don't say I come from a rich household, even though my dad is a big shot attorney-because I certainly don't feel like I live like a so called rich person.

How I ended up being able to come to school here? That's a good one in a non sarcastic response. I actually get straight A's and do very well, my last school I was at Anchor Beach I tested out and they recommended me here, its about 30 minutes away, I loved it there a lot.
I got a complete full ride to come here because of my good grades and can be here until I graduate in 12th grade, and I live within distance to take the bus or walk, so I don't have to rely on my "dad."

So here's a small background on my life, my mom Jazmine left us when I was 5 years old because she didn't want to be a mom anymore I guess-in my "dad's words." Maybe she just finally had a breakdown from my dad, he beat the shit out of her all the time and I had to watch or hide-I chose to hide but sometimes I didn't get to hide before it got bad. Unfortunately she left me with my dad Travis And I haven't seen her since.

What's my relationship with my dad like? Yeah that's a good one-it was stressful once she left but things were ok, but then things started getting pretty bad about 3 years later. I was 8 years old when my dad hit me for the first time, It was because He had a bad day and I got in his way, he then apologized and I thought nothing of it.

That was only the beginning unfortunately, my dad is a raging alcoholic and somehow manages to still function like he's sober when he's drunk. He's a big shot attorney at a Law Firm here in town-and has always one a case, but no one knew that he came home and beat me because he had a bad day or because he "just felt like hurting someone" in his words.

You're probably wondering if my dad has ever sexually assaulted me?
The answer is no and I hope that never happens, I somehow have to make it through all this for 6 more years-once I turn 18 I'll be out the door and not look back, 18 is so far away.

I hope starting at this new school can be the beginning of something new.